plugged bums

BetsyB3

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 22, 2008
I have 28 3 day old baby chicks and 2 of them started to get messy and plugged little bums today.
Should I just try to keep these clean with warm water and a towel. How concerned should I be?

As you move your baby chicks from their shipping box into their brooder kit check them for "pasting up", a condition in which their droppings cake up and block their vent opening, preventing them from passing any more droppings. This problem will be pretty obvious; you won't have to go poking around their insides to see it. The dried poo will be stuck to their outside, totally or partially covering their vent. This is a deadly condition and must be resolved with immediately. We recommend you apply a warm, wet paper towel to their rears and then use a toothpick to clear the blockage. In especially bad cases you may have to dunk the chick's rear in warm water before it will loosen up enough to remove it. Your chick will complain, loudly, but stand fast in your determination knowing that the chick will die if you don't! Then, dry the chick off with a blow dryer and immediately return her to the brooder kit with the others. And keep checking the birds that presented with this problem, for it often returns throughout the first week.....this information is what I was told when I recently ordered baby checks. I hope it helps!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom