Plugged Ear: advice?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by 77horses, Nov 29, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    My left ear seems to be plugged again. [​IMG] It's been happening on and off and I've just ignored it, but now it's been about a month and it's still the same.

It's not painful, it's not red/swollen or anything and there are no signs of infection (discharge, etc.) so I'm guessing just ear wax build up or something? The last time I had a doctor visit they said my ear was fine; a little ear wax but nothing serious.
    I HATE going under water; for some reason, my ears, specifically my left ear, seems to be sensitive to water. When I go under water, like when I go swimming, my left ear will get plugged and won't unplug for a while. It's always been like that. So I try not to get water in it as much as possible, but I still keep it clean when I take a shower and everything.
    Anyway, when I pull my ear slightly down, it unplugs. Then when I let go, it plugs back up. It's like there's something blocking it and when I pull it, it opens the blockage, but when I let go it blocks it again. There's nothing stuck in my ear like an object, if you're wondering. [​IMG] I would know if there was. But it feels like when you cup your hand completely over one of your ears, and then when you take it off is like when I touch my ear or put any pressure near it (like if I just slightly press the top of my ear, it will become clear again. Then I let go and it gets plugged again). [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My doctor says that my ear should be fine in water. And what's weird is that my left ear, unlike my right ear, has a small dent in it on the top and it's been like that since I was born.

Any thoughts????? It's so annoying!!!! I pull slightly on my ear and it pops, but when I let go, it gets plugged again. Then sometimes, like when I first wake up it won't be plugged. It's like the blockage shifts when I'm lying down but when I stand up and start walking around, it gets plugged again. [​IMG] Oh and I've tried plugging my nose and blowing to unplug them, when I take a shower and my left ear gets a little wet it doesn't change anything, etc. Anyone else ever have similar ear issues???
    Thanks!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Get some Debrox from the store. Target has it. It slowly dissolves the wax, but if it continues after 5 days use of the Debrox you will need to see a doctor to have it flushed out. If it stays plugged too long, you will start swelling. I just went through that for the first time in my life. It was such a relief to have it flushed!!!!

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    DH is a doctor. He is a real pusher of that Debrox anto-wax stuff. Also, mineral or olive oil will work to disolve ear wax. You NEED to do something!

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:What about canola oil? and are you sure it won't damage it worse if I pour oil into my ear? [​IMG]

Thanks!

5. debilorrah

Quote:What about canola oil? and are you sure it won't damage it worse if I pour oil into my ear? [​IMG]

Thanks!

Not canola oil!!!! Mineral oil and olive oil have different components to them that cooking oil does. Go for the Debrox first and see a doc if it isn;t better in 5 days.

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Have you ever tried ear candling? You can buy the beeswax candle at GNC. I've done it before and it pulls a lot of wax out.

I've heard a lot of the old timers talk about doing that when their kids had ear infections.

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    I might try this tonight:

If I let water run into it while I take a shower, will that flush it out? And how would I use the oil? (canola oil? olive oil?)
    Thanks [​IMG]

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Never heard of that.

OK, got it, no canola oil. Too bad my mom didn't recently buy olive oil. [​IMG] But I'll see if we can get some.
    Once I get some olive oil, what do I do?

9. debilorrah

Quote:The water wont help unless it is pushed into the right spot at a heavy force. Put the OLIVE oil in your ear - about 5 drops and let it sit like that for about 10 minutes. Then let it drain into a tissue. DONT use cooking oil. You will have to repeat this twice a day for about 5 days.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    it may be fluid in your inner ear if it opens when you pull on it. Happens to me often because of allergies. I hold a pretty warm wet wash cloth over my ear and side of my neck with my head tilted to that side. I just throw the wash cloth in the microwave for 15 seconds to warm it every so often. Do that for 15 minutes to half hour and it should help loosen up the fluid and allow it to flush.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by