Plugged Peachick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by allanimals21, Sep 10, 2010.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I posted this on the peafowl section but then I realized maybe here would be better....

Ok so my peachick Sid has been acting a little off the last few days. I took him outside today to try and perk him up. I noticed he did the poop stance and nothing came out on the ground so I turned him over to look and he had what looked to be like un digested straw or something? stuck half in and half out. So I gently pulled what I could out of him. Any suggestions? I'm gonna lose my mind if he dies. He is my first peachick ever.

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Don't pull. You can cut off anything that is sticking out, but if it doesn't move with a very gentle tug- don't pull. You may prolapse him or cut him. I would tube feed him soft foods & foods containing fiber- try to get him to move the material on his own. Be sure to feel his crop- if he is filled with straw from crop to vent, this may be very difficult to impossible for him to pass the material without surgical help.

Do you have him on straw? Peachicks are not the smartest chicks- they have to be taught how to eat, and they eat strange things sometimes. I would not have them on straw until older. How old is he? I keep mine on paper until several weeks old, then move them to pine shavings.

3. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    he is on straw...has been for a few weeks now and not a problem. I didn't like rip it out but I put gentle steady pressure on it until it all came out...He is 2 months old today. What can I feed it that is higher in fiber. He doesn't seem to have much of an appetite

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Straw is not a good choice for young birds- if they grab a piece and start to swallow it, they are forced to eat the whole thing- they have no teeth to bite it off. Straw/hay ect is a really common reason for crop impaction around here. Higher fiber soft foods- pumpkin, whole grain bread (soaked), cooked oatmeal, ect. Syringe feed him, or if you know how to tube feed- this would get more food in. Is his crop impacted? Feel his crop- peafowl have them too, smaller than a chicken- but still there. Check to see if his crop empties overnight. Also does he have access to any grit, so he can grind the straw when it passes through his gizzard??
    *on straw for two weeks- and it IS a problem, as he ate it- it is bedding, and nest material- but has no nutritional value to poultry, and can cause impaction if eaten- usually in the crop*

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    well I meant that nothing had happened up until now. I didn't feel anything in is crop. He is wining quite a bit. I put him in a pet crate in our garage with some chick starter and water. He doesn't have anything hanging out of him. Would eggs be good for him? I have quick oats...can I make some of that for a fiber food? To syringe feed him is just basically force feeding him right?

6. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Boil some eggs and give him the yolks.I also wet the chick feed sometimes and the chicks like it.Try to give him some plain yogurt.

7. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    well it looks as though he passed a bit of poo. Its watery and white so I'm gonna stick with that being good as I dont see any evidence of blood or anything. Also it looks as though he ate a little on his own.

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    One of my first peachicks had the same thing - half hanging out. I too tugged gently and an entire "rope" of tangled straw came out. He was fine after that. However, two others died since nothing could pass through them. I cut one open to verify and it's intestines were bulging and packed full of straw. I learned the hard way that peachicks should be kept on wire till they are about 10-12 weeks old. If your little guy is now eating and pooping he should be fine but get them off the straw till they are older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by