Plugged Vent

mcrich

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 1, 2011
holland Mi
I can tell there is an egg in my chicken and she is unable to pass it. I have used the many ideas on the internet, but when I feel inside of the chicken, I feel as though I am not feeling egg shell, but it feels like some kind of softer tissue is between my finger and the egg. Could that be the actual egg, or might there be more of a problem. We have soaked her in a warm bath, which she loves, and put mineral oil in the vent. Any other suggestions?

I'm sorry your girl is not feeling well.
Do you have a photo?
Do you think the oviduct is swollen-is that the soft tissue you are feeling?

The only suggestion I can make at this moment is to follow instructions from some of the more popular internet bloggers.
Fresh Eggs Daily is one that I find to be somewhat common sense when it comes to most treatments.
Her suggestion is to of course soak in warm epsom salt water, give liquid calcium - if you have some TUMS you can crush one up and give it to her, oil her vent, keep her warm in a darkened quiet area, repeat, until the egg is laid.

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/06/egg-bound-hens-how-to-recognize-treat.html

The Chicken Chick suggests similar treatment here:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Thanks, we are doing all this and waiting. We mixed some of the calcium powder from the bottom of the oyster shells we feed them with some favorite treats of hers and she did eat it. Is there a difference in using liquid calcium? We have her inside in a box with a moist towel and heating pad. When people suggest sucking out the egg and collapsing it I get hesitant since when I used my pinky to lubricate inside the vent I did not feel what I though I would. A hard egg shell. Neither do I have a large syringe. Thanks, guess we will see what the morning brings.

Thanks, we are doing all this and waiting. We mixed some of the calcium powder from the bottom of the oyster shells we feed them with some favorite treats of hers and she did eat it. Is there a difference in using liquid calcium? We have her inside in a box with a moist towel and heating pad. When people suggest sucking out the egg and collapsing it I get hesitant since when I used my pinky to lubricate inside the vent I did not feel what I though I would. A hard egg shell. Neither do I have a large syringe. Thanks, guess we will see what the morning brings.
I assumed you had found that info already, but was posting just in case.
smile.png

I would be hesitant to suck out the "egg" as well.
Sorry about all the questions, but sort of talking "out loud", sometimes something clicks.
Do you think its a soft shell egg that has deflated in there? Is she able to poop?
Did she have yolk/egg white discharge by any chance? Does it feel like "intestinal lining" inflamed like a hemorrhoid, maybe she had a partial prolapse and now there is inflamed tissue? Hemorrhoid cream can help reduce some swelling if that is the case.
I think the idea behind liquid calcium is for fast absorption. The powder from the os sounds like a good idea, won't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom