Plugs in or out?!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GreenGoddess, Jan 24, 2011.

1. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Ok.. So, I have a hovabator 2362 and will be going into lockdown tonight instead of tomorrow morning so it will be dark enough to candle.. I also figure it will give me until tomorrow to make sure the humidity is stable...

I've been reading controversial information on the vent plugs... Our house is extremely dry (as is most everyone else's) because of the dry heat... Do I keep the vent plugs in or out for lockdown?!?!

Goddess [​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I leave them in until several chicks have hatched, then I remove one plug. After a couple dozen have hatched I remove the second plug. Most will tell you that you need to remove the plugs during hatching for oxygen, but I find that I lose more chicks to "shrink wrap" than oxygen deprivation. If your room is dry, I'd leave the plugs in if it were me.

BTW, how do you like your 2362N? I have one that I'll be using this spring for the first time. I'm upgrading from my LG 9200s.

3. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    That's what i thought but I wanted to make sure.. My house is most definitely dry!

As for the bator, my house is not the greatest as far as temp goes.. We have no carpets, holes in the floor and walls and use radiator heaters in the winter and window units for summer.. The temps can range anywhere from 58 degrees to 105 depending on the time of year... So far, the temp in the house has gone as low as 62 and as high as 88 since I've had the bator going and the temps has never fluctuated! I absolutely LOVE it and think i made a very wise investment!!!! I would most definitely recommend it!!!!

Goddess [​IMG]

4. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm glad to hear you like yours. I'm even more excited to start using it now! I'll be putting some Easter Egger/Ameraucana eggs in it the first week of February!!! [​IMG]

Just out of curiosity, what are you hatching? [​IMG]

5. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:I have a Del roo in with my AM x RIR pullet, NH pullet and AM x DBB.. Then in another pen I have a PR x SS and BR roos in with my PR x SS hens and BR hens... I'm not sure if any of them will have any of the BR roo because he don't stand much of a chance with the other roo but he does try so we will see... (if you get confused with the types, I have them all listed in my sig line.. lol)

ETA: Whoops.. Forgot one.. LOL

Goddess [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  6. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Your PR x SS roo crossed with BR hens will make Black Sexlink chicks. [​IMG]

7. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:I was wondering about that with my last hatch but wasn't sure if it was still true because of the SS.... I asked the woman who bought the chicks from me if she would let me know but she never did...

Goddess [​IMG]

8. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:Yep! Many breeds can be used as the sire to make Black Sexlinks, including SS. [​IMG]

9. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:Yep! Many breeds can be used as the sire to make Black Sexlinks, including SS. [​IMG]

Wow! Thanks for telling me that... I've asked the question on here before and never could get a definite answer on it.... That's nice to know!

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by