Plugs in the incubator??

Reurra

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
So there are 2 red plugs in my hovabator. I read that they need to come out after 10 days or the chicks could suffocate, but my instructions say to pull them out at high altitude.

Im at sea level here.

Also my temp inside has dropped from 102-100 and holding steady at 100 all day. Should I adjust the temp or wait til tomorrow and see if it comes back up? We are due for another cold spell of -10C outside.

Last edited:
Ideas? I dont understand the plugs, Ive read they need to come out on the last bit when the chicks actually come out so they can dry. Others have said to take them out on day 10. The instructions say to remove them if i am above 6000 foot elevation.
idunno.gif

You are a Sea Level, which means ZERO elevation. You actually a bit higher unless you are standing in the Ocean, So you can forget the 6000 ft instructions. Your eggs need fresh air, that's what the plugs are for. I'll leave "how many" to someone that has experience with your type of incubator, I don't

Ive got 20 eggs inside, its day 10 today. I have 2 wigglers!!

Ok I am not standin in the ocean
lau.gif
....but if I walk down the field, I'll fall into the bay...its about a 80ft drop to the water. Where the water is to the house, I would guess Im no more than 100 feet elevation to the surface of the water. I can see the ocean from my kitchen window.
wink.png

Last edited:
OK, We've established that you are about 100 ft in elevation, do you see why I suggested that the 6000 ft elevation suggestions did not apply??

Its great you have 2 wigglers, what about the others, do the look fertile?

I checked them this morning and all but one is wiggling
big_smile.png
The one that isnt Im suspicous of, I think it might be a dud.

The instructions say to not pull them out unless you are over 6k feet, but ive been doing some reading and some people are saying to pull them (hovabator model) at 10 days because the chicks could suffocate. is that true? cna they suffocate?

I started with 20 eggs 21 days ago in my Hova Bator. After candling on days 7,14,and 18 only 15 were good. Today I have 12 chicks and 3 eggs to go
wee.gif
Never did remove either of the two plugs. Kept the temp steady at about 100. Chicks are drying nicely and just waiting for the other three to at least pip. I have an automatic egg turner so the bator didn't get opened much either. I would only take the plugs out if the windows started to get water droplets on them. Hope this helps some. This was my first time incubating eggs.

I started with 20 eggs 21 days ago in my Hova Bator. After candling on days 7,14,and 18 only 15 were good. Today I have 12 chicks and 3 eggs to go
wee.gif
Never did remove either of the two plugs. Kept the temp steady at about 100. Chicks are drying nicely and just waiting for the other three to at least pip. I have an automatic egg turner so the bator didn't get opened much either. I would only take the plugs out if the windows started to get water droplets on them. Hope this helps some. This was my first time incubating eggs.
Thanks! I dont ahve any droplets yet, temp is 100-102F I have water in the tray on the bottom. I dont ahve anything to weigh them with, or check the temp, but I can see them wiggling and to be that means everything is good for now. IM SO EXCITED!!! 1 1/2-2 weeks left!! Uuuugh!! The wait is killing me!!

I really pray that they survive!

Back
Top Bottom