1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plumbing.... it should be considered a 4 letter word

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KDbeads, Dec 21, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Especially in older houses that were built disregarding code and common sense.
    On the 10th we had a blocked drain while I was giving one of the dogs a bath. Drove up to our little tiny dollar general and tried finding the enzyme type clog buster. Had to settle for drano. Put just a little in and let it sit. Clog loosens up but the drain stays slow, we can live with a slow drain until I can get into town to get the enzyme, no problem. Done that before.
    That is until hubby takes a shower that night. The adjacent half bath floods. We get it mopped up and decide to work on it the next day because it's already late and I was exhausted.
    Next day I start by cutting an access panel big enough to actually use under the half bath sink, the one that was there was only 6"x 4" (WTH?) and find the area still flooded. Out comes the shop vac, glad I spent money on the thing now. Get everything cleaned up and start testing to see what's leaking.
    Turns out the drain assembly is not actually connected to the drain that goes UNDER the foundation, it's just sitting in it, no rubber boot, no reducer, nothing, so everything that's going down the drain is just coming right back out. Call hubby, ask him to borrow a pipe snake from work. He brings home the snake, wrong type, will not fit into the drain at all [​IMG] So for the next few days as I am not going to be home long enough to figure it out we decide to utilize his empty bathroom at work for showers. Hubby has NO clue what he's doing with plumbing, usually ends up destroying what he's working on in the process so it's something I do instead. (he gets the electrical stuff)
    Fast forward to the 17th after I get the silkies home.... I find a pipe snake that will work while I'm on the trip so I start trying to negotiate the drain from the tub side. Finally give up and decided to take all the connections apart on the 18th. Get everything apart and cram myself under the tiny sink where I can't get my head over the rain because there's a stud in the way. Unleash the pipe snake.... get only a foot to a foot and a half down the drain and can't get further. If we were off grade I'd have already been under the house and had all the pipes removed, cleaned out and put back together. But NOOOO we are on a slab. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Give up and call a plumber, several actually but only ONE even bothers to return my call. He comes in about 6 Friday evening and takes a look, gives quote and says he can be back Monday morning with the equipment.

So this morning they come in and it takes them 2 hours to get to the clog because whoever built this place put a p-trap to freaking close to the outlet drain for the tub and it's impossible to negotiate with even the expensive rotorooter machine they bring in. He decides to go in from the sink drain only to find out that whatever idiot repaired it last time use straight connections with PVC and glued them all together instead of buying a sink drain kit that screws together for easy access. [​IMG] He cuts it apart and finally reaches the clog. 20 feet down along the drain. And we still don't have a clue what was clogging it either. He gets everything put back together and adds that rubber fitting to the drain out like it should have been before so it shouldn't flood again unless the brass pipes or the boot burst.

The entire time they were here, the cats were in the tub smacking at them through the overflow hole. They got a kick out of the brats, especially when I had to start giving commands like 'sit' and 'leave it' to get Nod to leave them alone.

Bill was $100. The helper is coming back this evening to pick up some chicks too!!

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    at least it was only $100.

3. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Quote:Yep, that was the best part!!! It could have been upwards of $400 considering time, equipment, parts.......

4. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Yep, that was the best part!!! It could have been upwards of $400 considering time, equipment, parts.......

I swear $500 is the only number my mechanic knows. He also knows I made the guy who rebuilt the tranny cry last year.

5. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Sounds like what I do to our little mechanic here. He does NOT like having me call him [​IMG]

6. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Sounds like what I do to our little mechanic here. He does NOT like having me call him [​IMG]

Don't ever come in at double the quote without having your compenticy questioned. He did learn something valuable.

7. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    See there!!!!!! Not all of us PLUMBERS charge horrible fees to do a job! LOL!
    Glad that it worked out for you!

8. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Quote:I was refereed to this guy actually, he was great! The last plumber we had out here charged $200 to trim back a pipe and thread it [​IMG] No not all plumbers are bad but the bad ones give you all a horrible reputation [​IMG]

He's going to find out if any on his grandkids are showing in 4-H and want to show silkies. I had the brooder in the bathroom and they were just a talking to them the entire time, they had never seen silkies before and had fun playing with them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by