Plumbing Question - vaguely chicken coop related

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by limabean, May 15, 2011.

1. limabean

limabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Apologies if I've chosen the wrong forum, could not figure out where else to put this. But BYC seems full of handy folks so I really want to ask this here!

We will be building our coop in our garage (with a pop door through a window to the run & yard). When we moved here 5 years ago, we noticed possible water access out there, but never bothered to investigate further. Now I am thinking it would be very convenient to have plumbing in the garage , with a laundry sink (there's already a laundry sink there, just not connected to anything), for chicken water, cleaning, etc.

So I investigated yesterday but can't figure it out/ get the water running. I tried opening the valves inside the house that we had shut off for the winter (that lead to garden hose faucets), but no dice.

Inside the garage is this:
    [​IMG]
    The two flexible pipes leading down into the floor:
    [​IMG]
    And I have no idea if this is related but outside the same wall is this, inside which is a thinner black rubber hose/pipe. The whole thing leads into the ground.:
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    The outside unit should be an electrical conduit.
    As far as your water goes, it would be very convenient to have water out there and I don't blame you for looking into it since it appears that everything is set up. If your main water valve is turned on, you probably either have a blockage in the pipe or a shut off somewhere turned off. I don't know how your set up is, if you have a basement that is unfinished where it would be easy to view your pipes or what, but is there any way you can trace the pipe back in order to look for a shut off?

3. BigZ

BigZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Southern Idaho
    I use to do some plumbing repair for a Rooter company. I have heard some people use a air compressor with a blower attachment to blow air through the line while some one listens to the suspected origin area. Hope that helps you find your source.

4. limabean

Sep 28, 2008
    I have no idea how to trace it in to the house. The garage is detached, about 20 feet behind the house. Those hoses inside the garage lead into the floor, presumably then underground. I'll play around with the
    various shut off valves in the basment, but can't easily view all piped as it's a partially finished basement.

Thanks for your tips!

5. limabean

Sep 28, 2008
    *bump* Any other thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by