1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plymoth Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mandolinmama, May 17, 2007.

1. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    I purchased two pullets that were supposed to be Plymoth Barred Rocks. They were all black but now, they have golden lacing starting in on their chest feathers. I thought barred rocks were black and white.
    Do you think my birds are something else?

2. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

i also just recently purchased 5 barred rocks, and they are mostly black when young. they are 3 weeks old now and they are black with MANY white spots. as the feathers grow in, their strips will form. They will have a bit of white on their faces and the back of their heads. my girls' feet are going more black now as well.

hope that helped a bit.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Might be a black star sex link thats what mine look like. All black with gold feathers on head,neck,chest.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I agree w/ Poison Ivy, black sex-links.

5. Redneckchick

Redneckchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Coldwater , Ms
    Sounds like Black Sex-links to me...JMO

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well, at least the good thing is, you know they are girls. [​IMG] Female black sex-links are black w/ gold cackle and the males look like barred rocks. They are one of my favorite types of chickens. I always keep at least one in my ever-changing flock.

7. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    Thanks a gob folks! I looked up some pictures of black sex-link pullets and that's for sure what we've got.
    Mine seem to have a pretty sweet disposition and i'll love them no matter what. It's my kids that are upset that their chicks that they picked out won't look like zebras. lol! [​IMG]
    It made me understand a bit more about how we ended up with them when I read about their father being rir and mother being br. They might have just assumed that because they were from a br that they were going to be little br.
    Thanks for all the responses though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by