Plymoth Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mandolinmama, May 17, 2007.

1. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    I purchased two pullets that were supposed to be Plymoth Barred Rocks. They were all black but now, they have golden lacing starting in on their chest feathers. I thought barred rocks were black and white.
    Do you think my birds are something else?

2. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

i also just recently purchased 5 barred rocks, and they are mostly black when young. they are 3 weeks old now and they are black with MANY white spots. as the feathers grow in, their strips will form. They will have a bit of white on their faces and the back of their heads. my girls' feet are going more black now as well.

hope that helped a bit.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Might be a black star sex link thats what mine look like. All black with gold feathers on head,neck,chest.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I agree w/ Poison Ivy, black sex-links.

5. Redneckchick

Redneckchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Coldwater , Ms
    Sounds like Black Sex-links to me...JMO

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well, at least the good thing is, you know they are girls. [​IMG] Female black sex-links are black w/ gold cackle and the males look like barred rocks. They are one of my favorite types of chickens. I always keep at least one in my ever-changing flock.

7. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    Thanks a gob folks! I looked up some pictures of black sex-link pullets and that's for sure what we've got.
    Mine seem to have a pretty sweet disposition and i'll love them no matter what. It's my kids that are upset that their chicks that they picked out won't look like zebras. lol! [​IMG]
    It made me understand a bit more about how we ended up with them when I read about their father being rir and mother being br. They might have just assumed that because they were from a br that they were going to be little br.
    Thanks for all the responses though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by