Plymouth Barred Rock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hollywood Chickens, May 14, 2009.

1. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I live in south Florida and for most of the year the temperature is between 80-95F with a month or 2 of 40-75F in the winter,
    I would like to keep Barred Rock hens but I don't know how heat tolerant they are.
    What has your experience been with them?
    And how well do they get along with children?

Thank you in advance!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Plymouth Rocks are quite heat tolerant, as much as any other chicken. They tend to be quite friendly and curious. Even my BR roosters are sweethearts.

3. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Of those I have, the BRs are my fave... Even trained them to jump up on my arm when I put it out and pat it. My arm that is... Extend arm.. Give it a few pats... *poop* up jumps a BR.

4. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I agree with SpeckledHen. The barred rocks do great even out here in Arizona where our temps can reach 120 degrees but of course we use misters and fans. They are my second choice right behind Orpingtons for friendliness.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  5. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    We've been in the 90's this week and no problems with my two. They're the most social of my flock. Pepper likes to follow us around when we let them out of the run. Picture this: lady shoveling 1/2 yard of sand from a truck bed, to a bucket, walking to the run, dumping it, walking back to the truck, repeat. Look down and notice chicken following at her feet, back and forth, inspecting quality of work. Also notice, two silkie pullets repeatedly walking under my feet and me trying not to fall on my face. We must have been quite a site.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ours are only 5 weeks old and have been in an open coop with turkey poults for 2 weeks now and no trouble. They are very sweet birds too.

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Thank you all for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by