Plymouth Barred Rock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by soonerbirds, Feb 1, 2015.

1. soonerbirds

soonerbirds New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    I was looking to buy some true barred rock fertile eggs to hatch out. I currently have 3 barred rock hens and a rooster, I have them separated from the rest of the flock in hopes to hatch pure barred rock chicks, but on separation from the rest of the flock I'm getting white eggs, as white as my white leghorns are laying. My barred rock came from tractor supply 2 years ago. My hopes was to have barred rock hens for next year to cross with my RIR roosters to have black star hybrids but I don't think my hens are true barred rock. Any hatcheries that are around central oklahoma, Shawnee area that have pure plymouth barred rock?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

I don't know about any hatcheries in your area that carry purebred Barred Rocks, but I wish you luck in finding some!

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome to BYC! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and make yourself at home! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I'm not sure where would be the best place to purchase some Barred Rock chicks. A friend of mine got a Barred Rock from Murray McMurray Hatchery, and that bird laid the correct color of egg. But, McMurray Hatchery is in Iowa, so you'd need to have birds shipped to you.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When you have 20 posts, you can participate in the BYC Buy, sell, trade forum. Hope you can locate the birds you want.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. dutchlion

dutchlion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Peidmont area, NC
    I hope you will offer your insight.

I am looking at purchasing a breeding pair of Barred Plymouth Rocks. This is will my first foray into a)having a Rooster b) having breeding chickens and c) this breed.

I would very much like to start raising a heritage breed, and from my research, it sounds like this breed is very nice and easy to handle. Any insight would be very welcome!

thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by