1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plymouth Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by walkswithdog, Jul 18, 2008.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'm looking for show or near show quality barred rocks or silver laced or colombians. My great grandmother had barred rocks and I came to love them.

I'm looking at a small dual purpose flock, considering showing so I don't want to start with utility birds, looking for at least a step up. If I can't find a good group of quality in rocks, I'd like to look into orpingtons. I'd like to keep show options open so where to find good birds to start with is key.

I don't think I've got enough chicken savvy to try to take utility/production stock up to show quality. I'd be over stepping my know-how. I'm not in a screaming hurry, the coop is still four walls and no detail at this point.

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

barred rocks are a great all purpose breed. they are beautiful, friendly, lay well, and are super fun to show! The Rock community is friendly and helpful. My bantam barred rocks are my favorite show birds because they are so easy. They keep themselves clean, the most I have to do before a show is pluck out the odd black feather and give their feet a quick scrub if they're dirty! And then off to the show!

Are you looking for standards or bantams? It's generally easier to find show quality bantams than standards with this breed.

3. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Hi, thanks for the REPLY!!! I'd noticed there were show bantam folks around. I'd really like standards for our purposes. Yeah I remember my Great Grandmother's flock keeping themselves very neat. It's one of the reasons I'd really like to start with them if I can find APA quality chicks somewhere.

I did run across a post awhile back that suggested a number of the rock people had gone to Columbians and Silver Laced in the standard Rocks because they were more showy. I'd be happy with Barred or Colombians or Silver laced if I could just find them.

If you run across anyone with standard rocks in any color - let me know.

4. Kanchii

5. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Okay I posted over there and am all signed in. I moved some more lumber into the coop area today but wow it's hot and I melted. I need to do that after sun down.

Since I'm going to "test" the set up with cheap birds before I risk good ones. I'm not in a huge hurry. I just need to find the people actually raising APA quality rocks.

Orpingtons would be my second choice, and some of the show orpington people appear to have pretty active websites.

Thanks again for the replies. [​IMG]

6. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    I'm raising Barred Rocks, but I don't really know if they're show quality. They are a week old! LOL Good luck, and I hope Barred Rocks are everything people say they are!

7. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Well, I've got a post on the Plymouth Rock club site so I'm hoping I can find someone with exhibition stock there. There's only one person listed in the club from Tennessee.

Usually you only get show quality birds from show quality stock. Otherwise you work for years trying to "upgrade" utility birds. I wouldn't mind that since even utility chickens can be terrific but I do want to fiddle around and show, and I wouldn't have anything to show for a long time that way. I need an excuse to go to every nearby show (you all know how that is). So if I have show chickens, then I have my excuse.

Otherwise it's "what are we doing here, you don't have show chickens, etc." This way I'm golden.

8. Kanchii

Quote:And showing really is so much fun. You meet so many great people and learn a ton. I learn something new at every show, even if its a cool grooming trick I spot, or a special kind of food or drink people give their birds, and seeing all the birds and how they place helps me learn about type and now I can walk down a row of birds of a breed I haven't actually researched and show you which ones will probably win.

I don't know how old you are, but around here most of the shows are junior shows. I'm 19 but luckily my "poultry partner" Alyssa (silkieluvr) is 15. But what I see a lot of breeders doing is if they have a family friend who is under 18 they just sign up under their name, and have the kid help them out in exchange for getting to show nice birds, haha. You kind of become a family, you see a bunch of the same birds and people at every show, it's very fun and a great hobby. I'm bummed that I don't have any shows to really go to until 2009

9. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I'm looking for show or near show quality barred rocks or silver laced or colombians.

I, too, am looking for Columbians, so if you hear about any, please keep me in mind. So far I haven't found anybody breeding them--SQ or utility!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

10. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Oh my, well, I'm OLD. My daughter wouldn't be a junior. But I can still go to shows and learn. Some of the major fairs here do have adult entrants, most of the small shows are juniors.

You still learn if you pay attention. So I go anyway. I'm still kind of shy though. Being brand new to something at my age is a bit harder.

I started in dogs as a youth, and dogs I can rate with my eyes closed and hands on. Showed my first dog to a third at the age of 10. Never did compete as a junior handler though, always just went into the main events. I'd have enjoyed that but my parents weren't into it and I had to show other people's dogs. I did alright in the adult ring any way.

So now it's chickens and time to learn something new, I'll figure it out. It's all about standards and type and form and function no matter the animal really.

(It's a good thing there isn't a standard for humans. I'd miss on type and form and function - LOL)

Thanks for the replies. Looks like if I can't get any help with barred rocks the orpington and brahmas and cochin clubs are active.

And they're all beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by