Plymouth rock and possible x-breed - definitely roos, right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Applet, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Applet

Applet New Egg

Dec 19, 2012
    Hi everyone,

These are my two Plymouth Rock guys. The lighter one, I am not even sure of his breed, I am just assuming he is a rock X because of his barred feather pattern.
    Can someone please confirm these two are definitely cockerels? They are about 18 weeks old, and I know I should know by now, but just want to make sure before I make a decision about their futures...
    Thanks[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Yup, probably rock crosses. I would say the back one might be partrige plymoth rock mixed with barred rock. Or maybe even part wyanadotte.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    [​IMG]looks like a barred rock and a partridge rock but both look like pullets

1 person likes this.
  4. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    in the first pic the front one is arooster and the back one is a hen and in the second picture, roo! [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Both barred birds look to be cockerels, but the brown bird I'm thinking female. Can you get a better pic of it?

Okay, re-reading your post, you're just asking about the barred birds, right? Not the one in the back of the first pic? Both boys.

I have a cockerel similar colored as that second one, his momma is a ee/leghorn mix and daddy is a home made black sex link roo. I'm still waiting for his color to settle into adult plumage but I'm thinking yours is close!

1 person likes this.
  6. Applet

Applet New Egg

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks everyone. What a friendly and responsive forum! [​IMG]

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, but yes I am just asking about the barred birds, I accidentally sized the pics differently just to confuse people!
    The two barred birds have yet to crow but an Orpington rooster they grew up with seems to have taken over as head male, so perhaps they won't crow while he's ruling the roost, so to speak. However the lighter one occasionally makes a squeaking-honky noise and stretches up tall, so I am thinking he really wants to crow somehow!
    I seem to be pretty hopeless at sexing at ANY age, even when they're nearly grown up like these guys. [​IMG]

I am taking my four 14 week old Wyandottes on a road trip on the weekend to get sexed by a proper 'dotte breeder...I guess I might come home with yet more chickens too.[​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well post pics of the wyandottes, too, and we can give you an idea of gender. Course, I understand the road trip for more birds......

8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    They are definitely both cockerels. The first one looks to be a Pure-bred Barred Plymouth Rock. The 2nd looks to be a Dark Brahma crossed with A Barred Plymouth Rock. The Pullet in the back of the 1st pic looks like a Hatchery Barnevelder.

9. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by