1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plymouth Rock Bantams Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HallFamilyFarm, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Buff

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Barred

46 vote(s)
    56.8%
  3. Black

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Blue

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. Columbian

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  6. Partridge

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. Silver Pencilled

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  8. White

18 vote(s)
    22.2%
  9. Other ABA recognized color

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. Project Colors (Non-SOP)

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. Large Fowl Plymouth Rocks

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Well I searched for a Plymouth Rock Bantams thread and there seems to be none....so....

WELCOME TO THE PLYMOUTH ROCK BANTAM DISCUSSION THREAD ON BYC!

Please try to stay on topic.

Post the variety of Plymouth Rocks that you have.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    We are located in Southeast Arkansas. A few months ago we did some trading and traded for a quad of lovely Buff Plymouth Rock Bantams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also have various colors of Orpington Bantams and large fowl, Turkeys, Muscovy ducks and a few Lamonas.

1 person likes this.
  3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    We have an adult trio Silver Penciled bantams and one cockerel (need to hatch more):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    We raise Barred PR Bantams. They were actually my second choice when I got the eggs, but, boy am I glad I got them!
    Here's Hiccup, our Grand Champ.
    [​IMG]

And his first lady, who won Best SCCL last year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We have some half grown ones from the Spring's hatch. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

ETA: I love the Silver Pencilled ones! Very pretty.

5. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:Julie, anyway you can seperate him so he is in condition for Crossroads? I got some of the 4H lumber to the house yesterday and will start ripping it in half as soon as I have time. Then will build several frames at a time. Your extra coop and one for us will be the first ones we build.

I am a little nervous about our county fair. We have to go up against your Barred Rocks!

6. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    I love barred and white Plymouth Rock Bantams. I don't have any chickens yet but they are on my list of breeds I will have one day [​IMG]

7. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Here is a sample of our white PR bantams. We have lots of extra cockerels if anyone is interested!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Ok this is now my favorite thread! I am newer to Rocks and bantam rocks to boot! Got my start from a show breeder( usually hesitant to name names)
    Yet to get the nerve to show tho i know from advice that two of my hens would do ok!

Beautiful birds all! I have never seen a Buff before - really nice - those barreds - gorgeous !
    And i cant say enough about the whites! A color i have thrown around in my head about getting into - yes i have an empty coop with a large fenced in run! LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to get pics of my newer hens that i mentioned above -
    They are all by far the calmest sweetest birds i have ever owned!

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I think they look good, Inkheart! Take them to a show and see what happens. Try to grab the judge after he's through judging and ask him some questions about why he placed your birds like he did. This is a great way to learn. You can also compare your birds to those that placed higher, or you could be pleasantly surprised and take the top honors.

Every judge is going to have his or her own opinion, too, so just going to one show won't necessarily determine how your birds will do at another show. I showed my cockerel in at least 3 shows where he didn't win anything before that happy day that he won Champion. There are so many factors that work together to determine which bird wins; competition, their condition, the judge, etc. The important thing is to always have fun and learn all you can.
    Good luck!

10. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:I transported Julie's birds to the 2010 APA National in Shawnee last December. Hers did not even place. It was a large class. I aksed Dick Hortsman to go look at them. He had only one suggestion: conditioning. I shared that with Julie and two shows later: Grand Champion! Julie got her eggs from Dick, so he was very curious how his chicks had turned out. Now she will be going head to head with Dick at Crossroads. Should be a lot of Plymouth Rock Bantams there. I am just glad I don't have the responsibility of showing her barred again. I don't mind transporting someone's birds to a how, just know they can show their bird better than I can. Their bird is already nervous enough in a strange place. But being cared for by a stranger is even more stress. Plus, Julie's birds dislike me. I am the one who pokes their wing veins every time they are tested.

That reminds me, have to plan that next testing clinic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by