Plymouth rock, black sex link or ? also pullet or cockeral

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elieugene6, Jul 13, 2010.

1. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Ok I got these three chicks from some city guy who got the eggs to incubate for his kids to watch hatch out. He couldn't remember the breed or anything about it but said they might be all roos which makes me think black sexlink. I think I have it narrowed down to plymouth rock or black sex link. Need help I am hoping for at least one hen as I already have 3 roos that are gonna have to be narrowed down to one or 2. They have some black coloring on the top of their feet going up the front of there legs. They all had white spots on their heads but don't seem to have any of the reddish feathers like the sex link is supposed to have. Got the best pics I could it is there first day out in the enclosure. Picture taken today and I would have to say they are around 7 weeks old.

Chick #1 lightest of the 3 which I want to say is definitely going to be a roo

Chick #1 face/comb

Chick #1 feet

Chick #2 Darker than #1 and I have no clue

Chick #2 face

Chick #2 feet

Chick #3 was almost black and is just now getting more white.

chick #3 face

Chick #3 feet

Photo of the 3 of them together.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Very cute Barred Rocks. [​IMG] White spots on heads usually mean hens. I hope I'm right.
  3. Sassymygirl

Sassymygirl Miss Equestrian

Sep 16, 2008
    Carencro, Louisiana
    They look like hens to me. Thats what my BR looked like when she was about that size. [​IMG]
  4. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    I really hope you're right!!!!
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They all look like black sex link roosters. Barring is more defined in pure BR. Here's my BR hen:
  6. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    it looks like you have 2 hens and 1 roo the first pic looks like a roo because it is lighter then the other 2 very cute BR (barred rock) [​IMG]
  7. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Looks like 2 hens and 1 roo to me too
  8. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I think Black sex link roosters... Those combs are mighty big for 7 week olds!!!
  9. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:I agree - you can really tell that #1 is a black sex link, because it is lighter starting a the head and gets darker down the body.
  10. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    All 3 are looking like roos to me too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by