1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Plymouth Rock chick looking ill

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yon100, Apr 23, 2018.

1. yon100

yon100 In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2018
    Hello
    One of my 2-month-old chicks (Plymouth Rock or mixed) is not well. Its tail is pointing down, its neck is folded inside, it walks ok but from time to time has difficulty with balance. Its eyes are shutting down from time to time during the day and it does not fly up to the sleeping bench (luckily the mother goes down and sleeps with him on the floor). On the good side its appetite is fine (though he is slower then the other chicks when I bring them worms).
    All this has been going for 3 days now (at least).
    Any advises? Should I start antibiotics before it is too late (I have Oxytetracycline)?
    Please, Please help!
    Yonatan, Israel

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @yon100 Welcome To BYC:welcome
    You mention that you bring your chicks worms-do they have access to soil or a source of grit? Is this chicks crop emptying overnight?

The symptoms describe, it sounds like your chick is suffering from Coccidiosis overload. You can treat your chick with Corid. This is found at most feed stores in the US. At Tractor Supply look in the cattle section.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
    After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

[​IMG]

Mraya and micstrachan like this.
  3. yon100

yon100 In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2018
    Thank you so much Wyorp Rock for you detailed answer.
    Yes, the chicks do get out once a day for a couple of hours and have soil access, but per your recommendation I added today a pile of sea sand with crashed shells.
    Regarding you suspicion that the chick suffers from Coccidiosis, is it yet possible if the chick has normal appetite? I tracked him the afternoon and he eats completely normal, as his brothers. I also haven't noticed today any signs of difficulty in walking. The only irregular signs are: his appearance(tail down, short neck) , the fact that he does not go up to the roost (although he really wants to, I can see him getting ready .. but give up, god bless his mother that gets down to be with him) and a bit of eyes closing (but he is active normally most of the time). Any other possible cause?
    Thanks again!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What type of feed are the chicks eating?

Can this little one fly at all? It's possible what you are seeing is developmental or genetic, but I would check him over well for any injury to the wings, legs, feet etc.

If you feel that Coccidiosis is not the cause of his behavior, then you can try adding some vitamins to his water for a few days to see if those help.

5. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

Are this little sweetie’s eyes always that color?

You have received good advice. I, too, would suspect coccidiosis or a crop issue first.

6. yon100

yon100 In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2018
    They eat sprouted wheat and sorghum + vegetables + a handful of red compost worms or cooked quinoa.
    The chick was able to fly to the roost until few days ago.
    My hesitation regarding Coccidiosis is simply because I read that one of the main symptoms is lack of appetite, and the chick has so far steady normal appetite. Might this symptom not appear in some cases?
    Thanks a lot again,
    Yonatan

7. yon100

yon100 In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2018
    I guess so, I haven't noticed something unusual in his eyes color. What do you mean?
    As in my rely to Wyorp Rock, I wish to emphasize that the chick is still eating very well.
    Does this make sense with coccidiosis?
    Regrading the possibly of crop issue - what should I do?

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Where are you located - US or another part of the world:)
    It is best, if you have it available, to feed growing chicks a commercial Chick Starter. His problem could be nutritional deficiency. I do understand some people are opposed to purchased feed or it's not readily available. If you don't have access to chick starter, then provide your chick with more protein like fish, meat or eggs along with adding poultry vitamins to the water. I would use the vitamins for a full week, then drop to every 3 days, then to once a week thereafter.
    See if that makes a difference.

As for if a chick will eat if they have a Coccidiosis overload....sometimes. Most of the time they do go off feed. There's a lot of factors you look at - behavior, appearance and symptoms. A fecal float is the best diagnostic tool.

Just curious, what is it about the color of the eyes that you are noticing?

Mraya likes this.
  9. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

They look slate blue/grey to me. My Barred Rock has amber colored eyes. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a sign of ocular Marek’s.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I see what you are saying. Yes, the eyes are blue/slate looking, but could be the photo too. Marek's eyes the iris is misshapen (google "marek's eyes" and look at the images).

@yon100 may be able to clarify the color for us, but his chick does not look well. I suspect it's nutritional, but could be wrong.

My adult BR have bay or amber colored eyes. My 4 youngsters have a greenish eye at this time, but I fully expect the color to change over time to match parents. Some BR can also have blue looking eyes when young, but usually change to bay.

My little fella- when hatched eyes were very dark/almost black and have lightened considerably.
    upload_2018-4-25_14-47-57.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: