Plymouth Rock Chicks - Any idea on the sex?

Here is an old reference article that speaks about sexing BR chicks:

Quote: I dont have the attached photos from the article, sorry.
This photo shows all pullets, though, from another reference article about sexing Dominiques (same principle as BRs).

All males in this pic-the second from the left has frosting around the head, though at first glance, you see a defined head spot that could fool you.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm not seeing a nice dark wash on any of their legs, which leads me to think cockerels on all of them. However, the pics aren't the greatest, and the're at that in between stage when the head spot isn't always accurate, but they're not feathered in enough to see the difference in barring. I'd say post again around 5ish weeks and we'll see how things look then.

I love Plymouth Rocks.
1f499.png
(Sorry if I'm doubling up on info already said above) Usually cockerel have more white, so for pullets your looking for thicker black baring on the wings. As mentioned above dark legs can be pullet sign. Here's a really handy picture taken from an old book about Plymouth Rock gender. Hope this helps!

Here was Atlas-you see he didn't have a humongous cockerel type head spot, but you also see the "frosting" around the back of the head that I missed at first. Good photos sometimes show things you miss with the naked eye.

By this age, you could already see the comb so it was obvious he was male, but you can see the dark wash on his legs. This just shows that not all males have "clean" legs.
(Atlas is 3/4 Stukel heritage line Barred Plymouth Rock, 1/4 Delaware)

Last edited:
Oh my gosh!! I remember when you first posted those pics on his thread!! Now he has children and this spring I assume Lizzie will have babies.... Its crazy how fast time goes!!

There is a method of sexing by wing feathers. They be to old for that but you can google it. I found it really accurate the times i have used it
Feather sexing only works if there bred to be.

In order to feather sex chicks the sire of chicks has to be fast feathering and the dam of the chicks has to be slow feathering.

Its a little hard to tell yet. Maybe @speckledhen could help. She is the Barred Rock queen and amazing atbguessimg genders.

Back
Top Bottom