Plymouth Rock - Female or Male?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Leah03, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Female

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Male

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Leah03

Leah03 Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2017
    Bunbury
    Hi everyone! I was hoping whether you could give me an idea on whether my plymouth 'Nimbus' is a male or a female. I was told that that she is a girl and was also told that she is a 'light barred', though from what I've read, light barred females aren't really that common.

However, lately I have had people tell me that 'she' is a 'he'. She is somewhere between 11-15 weeks old (I only got her 2 weeks ago) and looks completely different from my 11 week old dark barred rooster that I had (had to re-home him). I have sent some of Nimbus' feathers off for DNA testing, but I'm just wanting other people's opinions while I wait. I love her to bits and I really hope she isn't a boy as I can't have roosters in my area.
    Thankyou for your help!

Attached Files:

• Nim2.jpg
      Nim2.jpg
      File size:
      109.2 KB
      Views:
    • Nim.jpg
      Nim.jpg
      File size:
      260.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd expect more comb / wattle development for 11 weeks for it to be male and the body shape seems more female, than male. I'm no expert on the breed though.

Leah03 likes this.
  3. Farmgal101

Farmgal101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2017
    I have the same breed and it looks like yours is a female.

4. Leah03

Leah03 Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2017
    Bunbury
    That's good news! I've been stressing about this for a few days now, so I'm glad to hear that there is a good chance she will be a female! I always thought she was a girl, but I just got overloaded with doubt when people started saying that she is a boy

5. aglandaetap

aglandaetap Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    Bridgeport CT
    It looks like a beautiful pullet!!!

Leah03 likes this.
  6. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    pullet

7. Leah03

Leah03 Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2017
    Bunbury
    It's been a month since I posted the top pictures of Nimbus. Now she is just over 4 months old, and now her comb has seem to have shot up out of no where!
    Would I be right in saying that she may be a 'he' after all? I think I can kind of see some long saddle feathers coming through. But I've never had a rooster before, so I could be completely wrong.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by