Plymouth Rock Having Trouble Making Noises

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicky Crazy, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Chicky Crazy

Chicky Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    I have the sweetest rock, and because she's my favorite I can tell that noise she makes when she's cooped up and board for the others. You know when the hens go Baaaaaack not the word, that's just how it sounds. She does that all day long but in the last couple of months I heard her make that noise but her voice becomes raspy and she has trouble making the noise. She never did that before! What's wrong? Should I be concerned? I've seen her lay and she's two years old so I know she's not a he.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. Chicky Crazy

Feb 27, 2013
    Someone? I need to know she's ok!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    So she has had a raspy voice for a couple of months? Any thing else not right with her? Other symptoms?

4. Chicky Crazy

Feb 27, 2013
    No. And it's only happened a couple of times.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry much about it if it is very occasional. Anytime a strange symptom occurs constantly, then you might suspect some sort of illness. Chickens can make all kinds of crazy noises. If she is acting perfectly normal in every other way, her comb has a nice color, she is eating and drinking with gusto, poop looks good and she looks good otherwise, then I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye on her and if she starts to sound hoarse on a regular basis, you might want to get her an antibiotics. For now just watch her. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by