Plymouth Rock Hens still laying tiny eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kathleen521, Aug 21, 2013.

1. kathleen521

kathleen521 New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've got 2 lovely Partridge rock hens, hatched in early March, they've been laying for 3 weeks now and are still making tiny small new layer eggs. My older hens of many types each only ever laid 3-4 littles and slowly grew to regular sized eggs. (with lots of double yokers thrown in. The young hens have had no double yokes either) I thought maybe that breed was a bitty layer but research has told me other wise. I know it's still early in the game for them but I was wondering if they are maybe missing nutrients?

I fed the older ones layena, but now I make their food, oatmeal, cornmeal, sunflower and flax seeds, cracked wheat, spelt and rye flakes, pearled barley, & cracked dried peas all mixed as a mash with salt and pepper and a bit of oyster shell. They also get lots of kitchen scraps and all the weeds and grasshoppers and bugs they can find or catch.

I've also got an Iowa Blue that is either not laying yet or making the tiny eggs too, I'm pretty sure she's not laying though.(shes the same age as the rocks) My other ladies are all 2.5 yrs old and are still laying regular sized eggs when they lay.

Thanks for any help.

2. redstarfather

redstarfather Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Land of Ooo
    they are probably pullets. pullets lay small eggs. try using eggmaker crumbles(that's the feed that i use)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by