Plymouth rock male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beebee, Sep 8, 2011.

1. beebee

beebee Hatching

Sep 8, 2011
    We were told this chick was a female. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input. She is about 5 wks old. Thanks! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I think you have a right to suspect it being a cockerel. Just a thought though...

3. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

[​IMG]

Looks like the legs are lighter than my 6-week-old female? And the white stripes are more pronounced.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Crowing

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
  5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Crowing

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think it's a pullet with only one copy of the barred gene. It's got boy coloring, but just doesn't look like a boy to me.

6. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Songster

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm leaning a little more towards girl than boy - I think that comb would be more pronounced by now in a cockerel. With her light patterning, I bet she'll be a beauty!

7. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chirping

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    We have two BR pullets at 7 weeks right now and that looks like a pullet to me. The thing that worries me a little bit is that at 5 weeks it hasn't grown in it's neck feathering, and males usually take longer to do that than girls. But, I'd still lean towards pullet.[​IMG]

8. shober

shober Songster

Aug 8, 2011
    I also have 7 week old chicks and I think its a pullet! I've also heard that male are lighter and I have one who I think is a roo! I"ll try to post pictures tomorrow!!. I'm pretty sure he is a roo though! He (or she) is much lighter than the rest though![​IMG]

9. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Songster

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I am guessing boy. Look how short the tail feathers are compared to the picture of the 6 week old pullet.

10. ll

ll Songster

It's too early to tell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: