Plymouth Rock missing chest feathers and staying in the nest box

Getuclu4u

Songster
5 Years
Apr 26, 2018
i have a Plymouth Rock who is missing her chest underfeathers and remains in her nesting box. She comes out on nicer days and eats and drinks, then goes back. It is cold out so I am concerned that she may not stay warm enough. Any help suggestions are appreciated.

i have a Plymouth Rock who is missing her chest underfeathers and remains in her nesting box. She comes out on nicer days and eats and drinks, then goes back. It is cold out so I am concerned that she may not stay warm enough. Any help suggestions are appreciated.
Is she broody?
How does she act when you approach her while she is on the nest? Does she make a fuss, flatten herself out, when she comes of the nest does she have a very large stinky poop?

If she is broody and not sitting on eggs that you want her to hatch, then it would be best to break her. https://the-chicken-chick.com/broody-breaker-when-hens-mood-to-hatch/

Let us know if you think she's broody, if not, then you need to investigate why she is staying in the nesting box.

I

s this molting? I'm new to this kind of thing! I thought the others were pulling her feathers out!⁉️
Yes! She's molting:)
They don't feel really well during this time. Sometimes they do isolate themselves, so watch to see that she is eating/drinking. She and the other chickens will enjoy a nice protein treat like a little egg or meat.
I usually give my molters poultry vitamins once a week as well.

I
could she be molting? mine are still molting and it's cold, so they aren't terribly active..
s this molting? I'm new to this kind of thing! I thought the others were pulling her feathers out!⁉️

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    592.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    586 KB · Views: 10
could she be molting? mine are still molting and it's cold, so they aren't terribly active..
She is 8 months old. I did not think they molt the first year. She does act broody and flattens out and chortles a bit, but not aggressive. She sits on others eggs or none at all.

She is 8 months old. I did not think they molt the first year. She does act broody and flattens out and chortles a bit, but not aggressive. She sits on others eggs or none at all.
Do you have any pics? That might be helpful. Have you checked for mites and lice?

They have a juvenile molt the first year and lose a few feathers nothing that makes them bare. About at 18 months or so first adult molt. I provided protein treats in the form of dried mealworms and small protein seed cakes with dried mealworms in them to help mine through. I made the seed cakes homemade. They did fine. No bare spots. Mine were still on 18 % protein feed at the time. My are not molting now and are finished with new feathering for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom