Plymouth rock question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by homemakerjulie, May 24, 2011.

1. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    I was wondering if all the different color varieties have the same personality. I have hear raves about the Barred Rocks, just wondering if the same is true for all the other varieties.

Julie

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In my experience, no. Not the same. The development of each strain meant breeding for physical type an so forth. The Partridge Rock and the Buff Rock in particular, it seems to me. All the Rocks are smart, inquisitive and so forth, but no, each is a wee bit different.

3. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    Thanks, that was kind of what I was thinking, as different birds would have been used to get the different colors. I was just somewhat hopeful that maybe, just maybe they were the same, I like a few of the other colors, but I guess I'll stick with the BR's.

Julie

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I would LOVE to have some of the other Rocks. Buff, Partridge, oh, yes. Very much. They're a bit harder to find and to find quality is even harder.
    Love the Whites and Barred as well.

5. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    I have a partridge rooster who very much has the Plymouth Rock personality (for a rooster). He is very calm and sweet natured, though I have not tamed him in any way. He is a great rooster! My partridge hens however seem much more dominant and aggressive than my buff or barred. My buff were much more submissive and so got a little more rooster action than I would like, while the partridge did not at all.
    So my limited experience jives with your thoughts- that they are all different. I have heard from others that the buffs are sweet as well so maybe that isnt just in my flock.

6. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    There is as much variation between strains as there is types or breeds. This is a conversation that should have with a breeder you are considering purchasing from. They know THEIR birds.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have barreds, blues, a black and a very young splash. I find the barreds and BBS seem similar in personality/temperament, at least in the lines that I have. Have never had a partridge, white. buff or silver penciled Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by