Plymouth rock question

homemakerjulie

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
west central, MO
I was wondering if all the different color varieties have the same personality. I have hear raves about the Barred Rocks, just wondering if the same is true for all the other varieties.

Julie

homemakerjulie

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
west central, MO
Thanks, that was kind of what I was thinking, as different birds would have been used to get the different colors. I was just somewhat hopeful that maybe, just maybe they were the same, I like a few of the other colors, but I guess I'll stick with the BR's.

Julie

Poupoulles

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Mayberry (really!)
I have a partridge rooster who very much has the Plymouth Rock personality (for a rooster). He is very calm and sweet natured, though I have not tamed him in any way. He is a great rooster! My partridge hens however seem much more dominant and aggressive than my buff or barred. My buff were much more submissive and so got a little more rooster action than I would like, while the partridge did not at all.
So my limited experience jives with your thoughts- that they are all different. I have heard from others that the buffs are sweet as well so maybe that isnt just in my flock.

gjensen

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
Midlands, South Carolina
There is as much variation between strains as there is types or breeds. This is a conversation that should have with a breeder you are considering purchasing from. They know THEIR birds.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I have barreds, blues, a black and a very young splash. I find the barreds and BBS seem similar in personality/temperament, at least in the lines that I have. Have never had a partridge, white. buff or silver penciled Rock.

Top Bottom