Plymouth Rock questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by clothdiaperingmom, May 31, 2010.

1. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Im fairly new to chickens and never have bred any.
    Wondering...what colors of chicks would I get if Barred Rock hens and White Rock roo get together??

Also, are the white rocks the same as barred rocks as far as being gentle, docile, and friendly?
    Thanks

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    A White Rock Rooster over a Barred Rock Hen will give you what is call Sex-link chicks.

Sex-link chicks can have the sex identified at birth by there feather pattern.
    Cockerels (young Roosters) will be black with a Yellow spot on there head
    Pullets young Hens will be solid Yellow
    Here is a link to Sex-links https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

3. clothdiaperingmom

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Thank you Chris! I was reading that very article as you replied.

I had already known about crossing like a RIR roo and BR hen or even a Delaware hen.

I was taking notes as I read, but it didnt dawn on me about white rock over BR. (and I had even written it down. partial multitasking I guess...writing it down to go back and study it later when less interruptions. Darn kids! [​IMG]
    Thanks again!

4. clothdiaperingmom

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Ok another question then. The pullets are yellow at hatching, meaning they will be white when grown??

Is there a name for that color of sex link? You know, like golden comet, cinnamon queen, red star, etc....?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by