Plymouth rock rooster stops crowing

Pinky Macgyver

Songster
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Hi, I just thought id share that my rooster stops crowing if he can hear the radio.
I live in town so when one of my chooks turned out to be male, I was concerned about bothering the neighbors. I tried every suggestion I could find. Rooster box worked only for one morning and he made up for it later and I tried light proofing the coop but then read that that might stop the hen from laying.
I've noticed that when I'm outside with the radio on, he doesn't crow so I bought him a little pocket radio that I put in his house in the morning. He instantly stops his siren of a crow when I turn it on.
I dunno if this is a chicken thing or if mine is just strange but I'm just happy that I can keep my chook :)
I hope it works for others :)

Wow, I'm glad you realized the association between the radio and the lack of crowing. It sure is a great fix for a common problem. I'll remember to mention this to others who have the problem; it sure would be worth a try considering it is a lot easier than light proofing a coop.

Thanks :) have since discovered that certain songs bother him. I'm trying to take not but so far only know that he's not a fan of Lana del ray :p sounds silly but he's my baby :) the things we do for our pets... :)

Back
Top Bottom