Plymouth Rock Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AusJaye, Jan 21, 2017.

  1. AusJaye

    AusJaye New Egg

    After researching what I wanted and getting some new breeds, I know a couple of my little 4 day olds will take ages to determine the sex, but wondering if anyone could help with this one? Unfortunately I can't keep roosters in my council area, so I'm trying not to get too attached before I know for sure that they're pullets!
    Plymouth Rock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  2. donrae

    donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

    31,452
    3,536
    538
    Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

    I'm kind of getting a cockerel vibe from it. Larger, diffuse head spot, no dark wash on the legs, makes me think male. I hope I'm wrong!

    Post again around 4 weeks, when it's feathered. We should be able to tell by then.
     
    1 person likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

    Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

    6,031
    828
    336
    Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Didn't you purchase pullets? Vent sexing is far more than the disclaimer of 90%. It covers the odds for small purchases. Say they are only 99 in 100 right then that one wrong in a batch of 10 chicks makes for 10% error. See what I mean? Covers the odds and they are indeed 1% and less in error.

    That's a pullet. Skinny legs, dark wash on legs, concentric head dot....pullet.
     
    1 person likes this.
  4. Egghead_Jr

    Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

    6,031
    828
    336
    Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Donrae, am I looking at a different photo? LOL Maybe it's my old eyes but seeing wash on legs and that's a pretty good head spot. Skinny legs at least and to me trumps all and how you'd sex other breeds with good accuracy. Leg size and stance.
     
    1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

    drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

    83,424
    11,726
    816
    Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm seeing pinkish legs with a dark(or dirty) wash
     
    1 person likes this.
  6. AusJaye

    AusJaye New Egg


    The poultry place that I got them from doesn't guarantee their sex as the only breeds they do vent are the 3/4 Leghorn and 3/4 Australorp. Apparently they can't vent the purebred? They sell most of their purebred babies before they're 5 weeks old. They do try to give you pullets by identifying as best they can as day olds, but yeah, no guarantee.
     
  7. AusJaye

    AusJaye New Egg

    If darkwash on legs is an indicator, this bub definitely has that. Thanks for all your replies! New to the purebreds [​IMG] Will have to wait to see changes in a few weeks! [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  8. AusJaye

    AusJaye New Egg

    This is the same baby as above, 4 weeks old tomorrow. I've had two people say roo on another thread [​IMG] Thoughts?

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  9. KDOGG331

    KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

    9,483
    1,462
    436
    Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Looks a little roo-y to me but at the same time, the second picture he looks like double barring/darker like a male, and the other side in the third pic, it looks like single barring/more white on the body like a female... and the comb, while big, doesn't look too prominently red and not that big, so it could go either way... I would just wait and see
     
    1 person likes this.
  10. TayCol

    TayCol New Egg

    7
    0
    3
    Apr 29, 2017
    [​IMG]

    Hi, I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could confirm this is indeed a Roo? We took a gamble at the poultry supplier and after reading BR Plymouth threads I'm pretty sure I'm right. If it is a Roo we won't be able to keep him [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by