Plymouth Rock with White Legs?

JHek

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
Western Australia
Hi everyone, the night before last I bought three Barred Plymouth Rock hens that are about two years old. I noticed this morning that two of the three have white legs and white-ish beaks. The third and my existing roo are both yellow.
Anyone know why the difference?
I did take a guess that maybe the two with white are recovering from sleeping on a perch last night instead of nestled up in the straw with the rest of our flock but I can't be sure it was those two and it seems a little far fetched (we are currently in Winter here and it was reasonably cold last night).
Thanks!

Thank you! I'm still relatively new to any breed other than isa browns so we were very confused when we realised they looked different! Are there any main differences between the two? We were hoping to breed them at some point but now maybe we shouldn't?

Thank you! I'm still relatively new to any breed other than isa browns so we were very confused when we realised they looked different! Are there any main differences between the two? We were hoping to breed them at some point but now maybe we shouldn't?
You should only breed the one with yellow legs to the rooster. Even if the other two were barred rocks the feet are still the wrong color.

JHEK.......Look like hatchery Barred Rocks...Nothing wrong with that......The legs and beak probably are washed out because of heavy laying... However look on feathersite or some other page at the difference in barring between Rocks and Marans,,,,,If the two with white shanks are radically different they may be Marans...Overnight on the perch definitely a non-starter.....

Back
Top Bottom