Plymouth Rocks 4weeks old boy or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KWray, Mar 15, 2018.

1. KWray

KWray In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2018
    IMG_1244.JPG IMG_1268.JPG IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1270.JPG IMG_1271.JPG IMG_1272.JPG IMG_1240.JPG I have 2 Plymouth rocks both the same age about 4weeks old one is bigger and is getting feathers much quicker than the other the smaller one seems all healthy is quick and catchers small bugs better and faster than other when outside and is braver I have 2 questions
    1/ is it normal for sizes to be so different is smaller one ok when I google age they all seem more feathered
    2/ what sex do you think I have?

drumstick diva and BlueHenDel like this.
  2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    I’d wait a few more weeks for sec,but they look younger then four weeks,but I could be wrong,I haven’t had chicks in a minute.

BlueHenDel and KWray like this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's early times, see about more pictures later.
    Generally cockerels will have thicker legs and bigger combs that are 'redder' sooner.
    Barred rock cockerels adult feathering is lighter in tone than pullets, but you can't see that yet.
    Mary

BlueHenDel and KWray like this.
  4. Chad Oftedal

Chad Oftedal Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Woodinville, WA
    My Coop
    IMG_2613.jpg

I know chicks have lots of variables in growth rates. For comparisson, here is a picture of my barred rocks that turned for weeks old this last Wednesday (3/14). I'm inclined to believe that yours are not fully 4 weeks yet, but I only have mine to go by as a guide. Even though the picture might not show it the best, the one that is in focus (farthest back, closest to the wall) is what they all look like - they are all pretty evenly feathered if you can get them to stand next to each other - which you can't because they're little rocket runners unless they are feeding!

drumstick diva and KWray like this.
  5. Stacinfl

Stacinfl Chirping

Feb 22, 2018
    N. Florida
    The light ones are boys and the dark ones are girls Taken at 4 weeks old. 10D3E4B9-E9E5-4B18-A8F2-A948F6BAA8C9.jpeg

6. Laodicia

Laodicia Free Ranging

Jan 30, 2016
    Canada
    the picture with the 8 around the feeder from 12 o'clock and around clockwise:
    girl
    boy
    boy
    girl
    boy
    girl
    boy
    girl

:)

oh wait... you didn't post that one.

I'm assuming you have only 2 chicks? they look like boys to me.

7. Chad Oftedal

Chad Oftedal Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Woodinville, WA
    My Coop
    Wow, there is a lot of white on the boys. This is a great reference picture. I'll have to try and take a snap when my three are together around the feeder. At four weeks, none of my three have near that amount of white. Based on this picture, and reading that the girls have more of a gray wash color on their feet (which all three of mine do) I'm thinking that I really did get three ladies. I'll try and grab a picture when I can and let others help confirm, but it does look promising.

8. Chicken lover06

Chicken lover06 In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2017
    Id
    id have to say there both girls

drumstick diva and KWray like this.
  9. song of joy

song of joy Crowing

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    @KWray - It's a bit early to be sure, but I think they're both males. The white bars on the feathers are pretty wide, the combs are already fairly prominent, and the legs are light in color.

drumstick diva likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Too young would you please post new photos at 8 weeks of age, when instead of guesses, you should get proper genders.

KWray likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: