Plymouth Rocks Hen or Roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chichengod, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Chichengod

Chichengod Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    I have two of these fine little birds but i need to know what sex they are cause i am not allowed to have a roo one is darker but its comb and wattle are more red and it has got green feathers on its tail but less so on back it has flat spurs not very pronounced the other one is more white with very little amount of green feathers and its comb and wattle are less red than others but it has small spurs probably 2 mm long I wish I could put a photo on here but unable to I need an answer fast they are both around ten weeks

Cheers

2. Judith71

Judith71 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    I now, dark is a hen lighter is a rooster.

Good luck.

Judith from the Netherlands

3. Chichengod

Feb 20, 2014
    That is what i thought but my darker one has more green in its feathers does it matter

4. Chichengod

Feb 20, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Not sure if it is a boy or not (Pleased if not roo}

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If the pictured chicken is 10 week s old it is a rooster.

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hatchery, backyard breeder and professional breeder birds of the same breed can look very different to one another. Hens can have green sheens to their feathers too, or blue or purple or whatever the breed's sheen is. Spurs aren't really a guarantee of anything. Crest and wattle development plus feather structure is more reliable.

Judging by the development of the bird's crest + wattles plus the neck feathers starting to emerge past the juvenile neck feathering, I would say that's a male.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  7. RoosterDoo

RoosterDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Wyoming
    Pay closer attention to saddle feathers. If they are rounded its a hen, if they becoming pointed its a roo. Shades of combs and wattles don't necessarily prove/disprove the sex at developing age. As Chooks says, spurs and feather color have very little reliability.

8. Chichengod

Feb 20, 2014
    Both my BR are roosters They were having a cock fight 24/7 I have
    swapped them at school for an australorp and i am going to get more chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by