Plymouth Rocks, Red Sex Link & no clue what the others are please help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickyLoo, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    We inherited this flock and the person who gave them to us lost the paperwork they are approx 2yrs old. She remembers someone telling her at the feed store that she was getting Red Sex Links, Plymouth Rocks and Barred Rock which turned out to the the ROO. The question remains on the lightly colored brown and the one that is sitting on her nest. We think she lays pinkish eggs but can't be certain since she's going to be a mama soon and isn't laying at the moment. I wonder if they are a mix? I've looked at descriptions and either the combs or size don't match up. I'm just really curious and it's driving me crazy not knowing what we have [​IMG] Please help thanks so much to all of you experienced chicken lovers!!! [​IMG] I tried to get the best pics up close but they won't stop moving or cooperate!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    here is another picture, I hope it's good enough? I may have to get another when they're sun bathing or something it's been rainy and they won't sit still very long today. You an see my barred rock rooster's back end

[​IMG]

3. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's got a white head it's not a barred rock rooster... maybe a half breed?

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Lightly colored brown? In the photo I see two Red Sex Link, one Black sex link rooster (accident at hatchery as they have barred rock white spot- how sexed at hatch) and no idea what the two white hens are. Was wondering if offspring of the two sex links?

6. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Thanks so much for the feedback [​IMG] they all grew up together straight from the feed store. I also thought he had too much wht to be barred rock! He looks like blk sex link but he has a very big comb, will find a better pic of him but he is my avatar pic. I didn't realize red sex links varied so much in shades of brown & red! So the pic of the gal sitting by herself is a RSL too? The white gals are supposed to be plymouth rocks [​IMG] one of them lays a dry pretty pink easter egg & we thought it was the gal sitting alone in the pic. Sounds like the hatchery is really mixing up breeds huh? The reds don't even seem to have tbe same temperament as the bfownish ones either, which is why I thought they were a different breed.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
  8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yes your gorgeous light birds are most likely what are called Amberlinks. Amberlinks are a variety of Red Sex-link, and tend to have a very very light smattering of brown. Your white bird is most likely a White Leghorn hen.

9. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:oh THANK you!! the Amberlink is my favorite we actually only have one of those [​IMG] she is a sweetheart. So whites are the White Leghorn Hen that solves that mystery, I think the feed store or the person who gave them to us has been misinformed in some way. They were certain the whites were plymouth rocks. The comb I think looks more Leghorn than Plymouth Rock though based on my googling after your informative post. Thanks so much!

white leghorn pic
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/270755483291?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

plymouth rock pic
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/White-Plymouth-Rock-p232.aspx

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You're very welcome [​IMG] I love the White Leghorn combs, they're so distinctive with their 'reach for the sky' look. Sometimes they get so ridiculously high that they flop over too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by