Plymouth Rocks that lay blue eggs.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Delmar, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

I was looking at the Chicken breeds index on this forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-chart and there are two listings for Plymouth Rocks. One listing says they lay blue or green eggs. Does anyone here have barred rocks that lay blue eggs? Are they pretty rare?

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    they are not exposed too. They only lay brown.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:Was it posted April 1st?? Sounds like an error.

4. Delmar

Who would we report an error like that to? If it's wrong, I assume they would want to fix it.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The breed pages were made by our members and some of them do have errors. I can't find the one you mentioned, though. A Plymouth Rock does not lay blue eggs. If a blue egg comes out of what is assumed to be a PR, there is something else in the ancestry.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Once in a while a breeder will try to bring the blue egg gene into a breed that currently does not lay blue or green eggs. Never heard it about that with plymouth rocks, but it wouldn't surprise me

7. Delmar

Quote:On this chart
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-chart

Plymouth
    Rock is mentioned twice. The first one says...

Plymouth Rock, Standard, Dual Purpose, High, Large, Light Brown, Single, All Climates..

the second mention (right below the first) says...

Plymouth Rock, Standard, Egg Layer, Medium, Medium, Blue/Green, Single, Heat...

8. Delmar

Quote:But, if I understand correctly, if you bring a trait into a breed, that is not a "breed standard" such birds are no longer considered "pure bred".

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I found it and will ask Nifty to correct it. That is entirely wrong. It's not the worst thing I've seen. I once had to ask a breed page to be removed when the creator just made up a color name that does not exist for a certain breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by