Plymouth ROock Not Laying As Many Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bluehazard, Aug 31, 2016.

1. bluehazard

bluehazard Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

My Plymouth Rock, between 3-5 years (got her as an adult), isn't laying as many eggs. Also, her last egg just turned white, instead of brown for the first time.

Also, my araucana's legs are no longer blue.

I think something's wrong with my food.

Any idea what to feed them or a good feed to give them?

2. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    What sort of feed do you feed them? I use a variety of brands, including NatureWise and Purina, depending on what's available. Also make sure you get Layer feed, which has nutrients that contribute to the eggs. Offering grit and oyster shells is good idea. I also give mine healthy "treats" such as veggie scraps. Just make sure not to give them potato peels; they are poisonous!

Hen's naturally slow down in producing eggs as they age. My Plymouth Rocks are 4 1/2 and still lay, though not as frequently. Odd that one laid a white egg; is it possibly just tinted or cream colored? I've read that a chicken's egg get lighter throughout the season, then get darker again after they've molted. Check the yolks; if they are lighter than normal then something may be wrong with the feed or they may be lacking nutrition. Otherwise, if it's been hot, chicken won't eat as much and therefore their egg can be lacking color and size.

What color has your Araucana's legs changed to? Do you have any pictures?

3. bluehazard

bluehazard Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks for letting me know about the new brands of food.

Can you purchase it on the website for wholesale?

I think the chickens may have some type of viral or bacterial infections.

Does anyone know how to get rid of them? I heard black walnut works.

4. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Not sure about the wholesale thing, never looked into it. The brands are usually available at different feed mills or stores, like Fleet Farm.

I have never heard about black walnut before. What makes you think the chickens are sick? Bacterial and viral infections are very different things and must be treated differently. I recommend posting in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures in order to get answers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by