Plymouth white rock x white orpington

Jan 19, 2021
I'm considering raising up a new flock this spring to use for both meat and eggs. Like the specific traits of the Plymouth rocks and orpingtons as I've had both for years. I want to produce white offspring for meat purposes is why I choose both breeds to be white. Some questions I have is would a white Plymouth rock rooster over white orpington hens produce all white offspring, or would the Plymouth rock add other colors due to it be recessive white? Also would this cross a good choice to produce good roosters for meat and good hens for egg layers?

would a white Plymouth rock rooster over white orpington hens produce all white offspring, or would the Plymouth rock add other colors due to it be recessive white?
You won't know for sure until you try it, but I would expect you to get only white offspring from that cross.

Here's my reason for saying that:

They might both be the same kind of white, in which case all chicks will be white. (Works for Dominant White or recessive white.)

Or they might be different kinds of white, but recessive white x Dominant White should still produce white chicks, although they might have small amounts of black leakage.

Also would this cross a good choice to produce good roosters for meat and good hens for egg layers?
I would expect this cross to be as good as any way of crossing dual purpose breeds. If you cross two breeds of the same general type (like dual purpose), you usually get chicks that have the same type too, plus a bit of hybrid vigor.

You won't know for sure until you try it, but I would expect you to get only white offspring from that cross.

Here's my reason for saying that:

They might both be the same kind of white, in which case all chicks will be white. (Works for Dominant White or recessive white.)

Or they might be different kinds of white, but recessive white x Dominant White should still produce white chicks, although they might have small amounts of black leakage.

I would expect this cross to be as good as any way of crossing dual purpose breeds. If you cross two breeds of the same general type (like dual purpose), you usually get chicks that have the same type too, plus a bit of hybrid vigor.
I haven't decided yet if I want do this or pick just 1 breed a selectively bred them for a self sustaining flock. Either way would you have any idea what hatchery would be best option to purchase from? Or, perhaps a reputable breeder of either breed. I've used mcmurry, ideal and cackle for years and have been satisfied with what I've received.

Sorry, I don't know any breeders, and I don't know which hatchery would be better. Like you, I've used all three of those hatcheries and been satisfied, but I wasn't ordering these particular breeds.

Probably any of those hatcheries would provide reasonable birds. Or you could order from more than one hatchery, compare the birds, and then keep whichever ones you like best.

Back
Top Bottom