1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. team_realtree

team_realtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    The floor of my new coop is now just a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood (I don't have the chickens yet). So what is the standard to put down and how do you clean it? I hear about linoleum being put down but would like to see if I can bypass that.

Does anyone use just plywood with say hay or straw? Its 4x8 if it matters. Also if you could add how you clean your method of bedding I would REALLY apprecaite it [​IMG]

2. greenbeandreams

greenbeandreams Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty new but we have plywood with pine shavings over it - deep litter. Watching this thread to see what other folks do.

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I have plywood floor; hay, Food grade DE & pine shavings over it, I rake it daily and remove wet parts with trowel or shovel. Clean dropping boards daily with bucket & Sheet Rock Trowel.
    add fresh at least weekly, and rake smooth. The chickens do the most mixing when scratching around.

ETA: when I clean it all out, I use the rake and move it to the doorway, shovel into garbage bags for hauling to the garden or compost. add a nice sprinkle of DE, then hay, then pine shavings.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    I have linoleum over plywood in my 8x8 coop. You could get a sheet of 4x8 for short money and it would be worth it. I picked up a scrap sheet for mine for under $20. I have dropping boards and have had the same shavings in my coop since May. I just fluff what's there and add a fresh layer once and a while.

5. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Where do you get these pine shavings? Is it the same stuff people use for hamsters and guinea pigs ect?

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    You didn't post how large your coop is. If it's large enough to walk in 1/2 won't be of sufficent thickness. Any floor would benifit by the installation of a vinyl floor and be easier to clean and keep moisture away from the plywood.

7. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:I did post it [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well I use vinyl and love it...very easy to clean and no moisture damage. I've read about some folks using a heavy porch paint to seal their coop floors...really putting it on thick. It sounds like your coop is a walk-in??? Half inch plywood won't be the sturdiest, so I'd worry more about leaving it bare (not including bedding) and susceptible to moisture damage. Just something to consider...

9. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:Yes it is a walkin more like a small shed. What moisture are we talking about exactly?

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I would add at least 1/4 plywood to the floor. Install it so that it runs across the existing flooring and screw it down. The moisture is from the urine in the droppings and also from the humidity generated by your birds exhalation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by