Plywood flooring and other cheap flooring

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by punk-a-doodle, Mar 6, 2014.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Anyone tried plywood flooring, especially when cut into planks? How did it hold up?

It is an attractive looking option to me right now. I could use untreated plywood in my area for less than $1/sq ft if using pine, and about $1/sq ft for hardwood plywood. Then, I can use tung oil to seal. I'm very, very chemically sensitive and would like to go as easy on the synthetic chemicals as possible while still staying within a tight budget. Not sure how much the glue used in plywood a might be an issue for me.

Since I have a solid plywood subfloor, I hear I don't need too great a thickness for flooring. I wish I could find cheap, thin planks of solid wood. That'd be ideal!

For interior paint, I'm looking into milk paint with no acrylic binders added. Any input on that? I've heard good things about Mythic, but they don't post their ingredients where as milk paint manufacturers do.

I'd love to hear input on what people have used for cheap flooring as well as what chemically sensitive people find works for them.

2. Is this for your house or a chicken coop?

Solid oak planks = no chemicals. Not a engineered product but solid. Con is the cost.

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    For the human house. The chickens already got their new digs before we got ours. X) Yeah, I'd greatly prefer solid wood, but it shoots the cost up higher than I want to go right now. I think we can swing it in the smaller two back rooms where the wood can be mismatched, but I'm trying to cover a larger area that I'd like to have a uniform look to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by