Plywood roof for run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheYoungV, Sep 12, 2016.

1. TheYoungV

TheYoungV Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    My husband is going to build a run for our chickens and it's going to be 16 ft long x 8 ft wide x 6 ft high. We're going to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth along the run. We're also going to have the hardware cloth coming out 2 feet on the sides (Like an L shape) and cover that over with dirt so that if a predator attempts to dig, it will run into the hardware cloth and hopefully give up and not think of moving back a couple of feet. My husband wants to make the roof out of plywood since we are on a very tight budget right now.

We're only doing this because we recently lost one of our hens and a couple of her chicks to what we suspect was a fox or coyote. Until recently our more experienced hens were free ranged and our dogs are usually outside with them during the day. They are not LGD's but they're pretty territorial and we've never had an issue until now. At least one of our dogs was outside when it happened, so whatever it was had to be sneaky... :(

Is the plywood roof a good or a bad idea? We are just trying to save money (that we don't have to begin with) while also trying to make it more weatherproof as we are in NY and get our share of rain and snow. Thanks in advance for your input!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Plywood, 3/8" or thicker is pretty predator proof. Will take several paints of good deteriorating paint in order to remain waterproof. Raccoons would have to work pretty hard to gnaw a hole though plywood and it should be out of range of coyotes. You could lay reclaimed corrugated tin over the top - waterproof then! Or even staple down additional hardware cloth along seems and edge of the roof. Good luck to you!

3. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Pretty sure that regular corrugated metal roofing will work out to be cheaper than exterior plywood. I did my run with metal and it's worked out great.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  4. TheYoungV

TheYoungV Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Thank you! We will have to see where we can find reclaimed corrugated tin to add over the plywood. That would be ideal!

Thank you! Forgot to mention that we already have lots of plywood we can use. I think we'll be adding the corrugated metal eventually as well.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Plywood should work fine as long as the walls it's attached to are strong....think 'snow load'...might want a roof rake handy to keep snow load lighter.
    You could throw tarp up over it protect wood from weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by