Plz ease my mind...worried about my flock!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ema, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    The last couple days it has been increasingly getting colder. Yesterday we were told there was a massive winter storm coming our way and they couldn't exactly predict what was going to happen, if it was going to snow, rain or how cold it would be. Well today I woke up and its -32C (-26F) outside, the chickens seem to be doing well in their unheated barn coop which is not insulated btw cause DH got laid off. Well they narrowed down exactly where this winter storm is going to hit, how much snow we are going to get and how cold it will be. For tonight they are calling for -39C (-38.2F).

As far as they can tell this cold snap is supposed to last until Tuesday maybe Wednesday. this is my first winter with my flock and seems like winter in coming in something fierce. These are not regular temps for December, a cold snap like this is something we usually get in February.

I need reassurance that my flock will be fine in these temps, or advice if I need to do something different for them.

thanks in advance,

Ema

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
  3. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    thank you so much, I actually subscribed to that topic when it first came out but that at this point isn't real helpful, yes they are in Alaska but none of those posts say they are getting anywhere near the temps I am currently having. -38F

I am just really worried my chickens aren't going to be able to handle this sort of cold....I think I will check and see what the current temps across the boards are. maybe it will ease my mind. Dh just came back from the barn, and all the girls are all huddled up together, so he threw in a couple more bails of straw in hopes it will keep them warmer. All of our eggs were frozen this morning and cracked, think I will feed those right back to them too. well I guess I will find out how they are going to fare in this weather, I just wish someone going through the same temps could tell me how their dealt with it!! Again thanks for responding!! :)

4. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I'vew never read the thread. Don't have a clue really!! Maybe someone that does will help you out.

Thank god I live in Louisiana and don't have to deal with that! [​IMG] Though it will be in the low 20's here tonight:eek: and that doesn't happen very often!!

So, here's a bump so we can keep you at the top!!

Good Luck!!

5. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I wish I lived where you are ahahahaha!!!! A good southern state with yummy food.

6. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    My first thought is........THAT'S REALLY COLD! Seriously, maybe too cold for chickens. But that's the outside temp. and I noticed in your signature line you have other livestock animals. Are the chickens in the barn with them and what's your temp inside the barn??? When I milked cows it was once -22 *F outside and we were milking with just sweatshirts on. Body heat! However, after reading that your chickens are now acting cold you may need to do something. If you don't electricity to plug in a heat source..maybe just a light bulb even, perhaps filling milk jugs with hot water would help...but wait they'd probably freeze while you carried them out! Just trying to think of something to help. Maybe someone else with really cold weather experience will chime in. Wishing you the best.

KimberlyJ

ETA---Wait that's not your signature line!!!! Sorry!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  7. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:It is that till dead summer!! [​IMG]

8. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    ahahaha I was confused there at first...we are currently looking for the heat lamp we used to have installed in there. I think once I find it I will put it back up, it was triple clamped before, I wish I hadn't taken it down ugh, oh well live and learn I suppose!! hopefully pointing it towards the roost will work enough to keep them warm.

yes that is the outside temp but the coop is pretty cold on the inside too, I haven't let my girls out today, but I don't think they are minding too much. they are now moving about gave them boss and scratch, hot oatmeal and scrambled eggs (the ones that froze this morning) I will just keep checking on them and take it from there.

9. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    A couple of days ago I woke up and the temerature was 7 degrees. I thought THAT was cold. Boy do I stand corrected. Have you taken the temp inside the barn? It isn't insulated, but maybe without the wind it might not be as cold. Is wind getting in?

If the barn is wired - I would hang a lightbulb.

I would think that if they were too cold you would find them huddling together but I don't know.

If there is a local grange in your area they would probably have the answers for you.

10. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    luckily the barn does have electricity, I had a thermometer in the barn not long ago, but Dh was working in the barn 2 weeks ago and a piece of lumber slipped out of his hands and busted it. I meant to pick up another one this week but I have been working and forgot to pick it up. Its definitely chilly in there, there are no drafts, and no way for snow to get. they are moving about now though, so maybe they were just feeling a bit lazy this am and were comfy where they were. It bothered me because they usually get up stretch and then come greet me at the door. but today they could have cared less. however they couldn't resist a hot breakfast...lol.....spoiled chickens!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by