plz help dyng baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by negrita, Oct 12, 2015.

1. negrita

negrita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    My baby chick ss is really sad has ruffled feathers acts like shes cold she's 4 weeks but is small compared to the other's.My husband forced fed her yolks yesterday and today my fav.chick a black australorp is kinda acting sad too with ruffled feathers too.

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    It sounds like your chickens have coccidiosis. Here's an article on cocci: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

This disease is fatal if left untreated, and will spread to your other chicks. Some people treat the affected bird(s) water with corid (amprolium) or sulmet--I think you can get either of these at a local feed store--ie tractor supply. Hope your chicks are back to normal soon! :)

3. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    Im just started feeding them corid this morning do u know how long until they start to look better im so worried and sad i already lost to 1 to a dog and 1 dissapeared from cage

4. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I just looked at the manufacturer's website and they recommended 5 days for cows--I'm not 100% sure how long for chickens. You should start to see improvement soon. Make sure the sick birds are separated, and in a warm, dry area. You may also want to feed them a probiotic/electrolyte to boost their immune systems.

5. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    what happens if i dont separate them? im treating all of them even the 2 week olds i keep in another brooder because occasionally I've the sick ones with them in the past

6. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Because coccidiosis is highly contagious, you run the risk of getting the other birds sick. That is a good idea to treat all of them--they probably all have been exposed.

7. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    do u think its ok i force feed the sickly one she drinks.but is not eating and looks out of it

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No. YOu'll gain nothing by force feeding and may cause her to aspirate.

9. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    what happens next i wait and see if she dies?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  10. negrita

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    how long will they last now there are two not eating or dinking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by