Plz Help Sick Birds Need Advice

Vries

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
Essex, Ontario
So here is how it goes, I started Into chickens I built a Nice pen on my farm, Had about 45 Laying hens and 20 or so Roosters, I went to a Bird auction And purchased a Bunch Of different breeds and being dumb when I got home put them in with my existing flock, From what Im reading im very worried I will have to kill my flock, only the small Birds I purchased seem to be showing symptoms and I moved them to there own pen and have them on meds.... as well as every bird in the other pen is also now on meds... I will post pictures later on today or tomorrow,

they seem to have puffy eyes and bubbles, seem to keep to themselves and quit sounds like they have trouble breathing, None of my layers or Big Roosters seem to have any symptoms at all

What should I do, Will it effect all my ducks turkeys, peacocks and so on,,., or is it more just chickens I need to worry about

I'm going to be honest it doesn't sound good. Sounds like an infectious disease and there are many possibilities. Try to keep your bio security at a very high level. Change your shoes and clothes between coops and wash your hands constantly. Yes, all poultry could be affected.

I was also wondering if I can hatch the eggs and have clean chicks or will they also be carrier birds, depending on what sickness or virus or disease they have ?

If you have eggs before the outbreak then I would try to hatch those. I am not sure about hatching eggs from infected chickens.. Probably not a good idea but others may know for sure.

try seperating her and observe her poo and see how much she drinks/eats. hope shes allright

Ya I would like to do that but the only lab around here is 4 hours or so away one heck of a drive, But I was at work and this old man who has been raising chickens for over 70 years was giving me some tips and trick on what to do, He showed me this red liquid medication that is egg eating safe that he said should clear them up in a few days or so, And I have them on a superbooster as well, if all of this fails he said to use tetracycline 250 , 400 g pouches, He said its happens to everyone and I learned my lesson for tossing in Birds with my flock, also said it wouldnt hurt to clean it up a bit in the pen, but I keep it pretty tidy... When I have some time I will be posting pics of my set up that I built at my farm, and one of the infected chickens... But basically he said DO NOT CULL MY FLOCK bad idea and waste of my money

I posted some pics of the sick chickens under my profile if anyone wants to take a quick look and tell me what u think, I also flushed all the chickens eyes with water from a running hose and it seemed to make it easier for them to open there eyes

I talked to 2 local vets and none of them know jack all about chickens really lol, so this lady who comes into my store told me to try a light solution of bleach and spray there eyes twice a day and see if that helps at all with the swelling some of my birds look healthy but are still making a gurgling noise when they breath

Back
Top Bottom