Plz help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ck18, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ck18

ck18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    i don't know what to do i have a chick that's completely lethargic it wont stand up or even sit up it looks like its gonna die i don't know if its pain anyone help please?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If you have liquid vitamins, mix with water and offer by dropper. If you don't have a dropper, simply dip your finger in the water and let the drop touch the baby's beak and he will take it in. If you don't have vitamins, add a bit of sugar to the water for energy. If he won't take water, don't force it. Sometimes they just don't survive.

3. ck18

ck18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    is there a certain amount of sugar that goes in the water?

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would put 2 tablespoons per cup.

5. ck18

ck18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    ok so it perked up a little from the sugar water should i give it more in a while ? if so how often and how much? i figure it should be with the other chicks to stay warm but is there anything else i can do

6. chicken charlie

chicken charlie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    how long has it been sence it hatched

7. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    Yep, keep offering more. Maybe it will perk up more and want to eat crumbles in a while. keep up the sugar water though! Good luck.
    Not sure exactly how often though. I would think it would struggle to get away some if it is too full to take anymore though. Every hour offer a drink, until it is time for you to go to bed, maybe?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  8. chicken charlie

Mar 10, 2012
    how long sence hatch

9. ck18

ck18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    i have no idea i have chicken so my roommate thought he would just get some chicks cause there cute but i have no idea how old they are i could post a pic hold on

10. chicken charlie

Mar 10, 2012
    chicks can hatch and be that way for 48 hours after hatching . some more so than other if they have a hard time getting out of there shell. after the first 48 is over them have to drink and eat and they learn from the chicks around them so they need to be together

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by