plzzzzz help me and broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amirfarmer, Oct 12, 2013.

1. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    toady was the 13 day of my broody hen......toady when i went to take my broody hen out to have some food I WAS SHOCKEDDDDDD!!!!!!!! to saw that all the eggs were dispersed in nest box........they were not warm and the most shocking part is that one egg was missing i tried to find it but i was unable to........suppose the egg has been broken than there should be some peices of shell or the next box should be sticky from somewhere but i didnt find even a small peice of shell ...........there is no way of going in or out of the nest box...........MAIN QUESTION IS that if my hen doesnt sit on her eggs on 12 th day of her broodiness than. there are any chances of hatching my eggs..........................when i arranged the eggs and putted back my hen she sat on them very easily plzzzzz answer my questions???????

2. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a broody hen and the same thing happened. I think I started out with 7 eggs and ended up with four. The nest box was raised about 3 feet off coop floor and no snakes or predators could get in. When I opened the coop for all the hens to free range I found one of the eggs on the lawn! I still dont know what happened to the other eggs. The other hens were going into her nest also to lay eggs. You may want to separate her if this is happening.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  3. amirfarmer

Feb 9, 2013
    my hen is separate from all hens i have made a new nest box for him...and she hasnt seen other hen from past 13 days!!!!!

4. 16 paws

My broodys got up from the nest, stretched and ate, then went back to eggs. I would just wait and see what happens unless you have a bator to take over her job with the eggs. I always wondered if my broody got rid of the eggs that were not fertile.

5. 16 paws

Oh, forgot to ask how many eggs is she sitting on and how big is her space to nest in?

6. amirfarmer

Feb 9, 2013
    i put 8 eggs and now there are 7 .........her nest is big she can can walk few steps in there .............before replying you i went to check her she was not sitting on eggs , she was sitting on other side of nest .....now i opened the nest and put her on the eggs ........lets see what happens????????!!!!!!!!

7. jammyjammy2112

jammyjammy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    ireland
    hello i no a fella who had a hen that nessted in a ditch she went off and didnt sit on them for 6 hours every single one of the eggs hatched.I had the same thing happined to me earlier this year i had 7 eggs under my silkie and i checked under her there was only 6 i assumed a rat came under her at night and took the egg there was no shells of egg yolk nothing 4 out of the 5 eggs left hatched

8. amirfarmer

Feb 9, 2013
    i think the same thing has happened to my nest........ thank god my hen is now sitting on all eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by