PMU industry, for those interested.

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
http://www.springhillrescue.com/
Though I don't necessarily agree with the anti-slaughter stance of this rescue, it does have a lot of good information on the PMU industry, for those wanting more information that isn't sugarcoated. Quiet honestly, if there wasn't such a huge issue of the PMU industry breeding unwanted horses, I doubt there would be so many rescues that deal mainly in PMU foals, just something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PMU industry is not so nasty as you all might think. Remember, just because someone wrote a report doesn't mean the TRUTH can be found in that report. Because of the high demand for horse meat (and no, not just for human consumption) there was an actual use for the 'by-product' (foals) after they were weaned. Of course the mares are well cared for - they are the LIFEBLOOD of the operation. Likewise, the foals are with their dams until an appropriate weaning age, being horses.

Just because some soft-heart found the foals and decided to make some money forming a 'rescue' around them doesn't mean they ever needed rescued. The industry was plugging along just fine before the pleasure side of the equine industry decided they needed some bad publicity.

You should never make a comment of the nature that you'll never use Premarin. I assure you, if everyone could use synthetic hormones or plant hormones, there would be no need for PMU operations. But there IS.

My daughter had a medical issue at about 12 months of age that required hormone therapy. Know what? The synths didn't work. She had to have Premarin. Know what else? I happily paid for it at the pharmacy because I knew it could help my daughter.

People have pet cows, pet pigs, PET CHICKENS. And yet cows, pigs and chickens are slaughtered and used in testing every day. What is the difference, I beg of you all...what is the difference?

Show me one unemotional argument against it all that makes any sense at all (outside of double decker trailers and overly long hauls without water and rest stops).

I know this might sound crazy, but along with this and all of the slaughtering of unwanted/used horses in the US that are shipped out and inhumanely killed, like everyone saw on tv the other night, at least in the US majority of the killing was humane. it comes down to the fact that If there has to be slaughtering of horses what would you rather have?? Humanely done in the US ( which I know all was not done this way..) or shipped to Mexico and places where they are stabbed to death? Its kind of a toss up on what is right and wrong? Like helmstead says its not just for human consumption..most of that grocery store bought dog food that people feed has horse in it.

Not trying to start and agrument at all, but its like what should we do? I would personally like to ban the killing of horses overall...I wish there was more of a demand for a spay neuter thing like there is in dogs and cats, but we cant go around gelding all of our stallions now can we lol.

My issue isn't in the slaughtering of horses. Mine lies with the treatment of mares on the PMU farms, and of course foals kept in feed lots. I don't appreciate feed-lots in any form, whether it's for cattle, horses, pigs or chickens. It'd be nice to think that the horses are well cared for and maybe some are, but the facts still are is they are standing in a cattle stall being tied up to a pee-line for months on end. They aren't kept in nice cushy stalls and definitely don't get pasture time. I don't think people follow them around the pasture trying to collect urine in a bucket.
roll.png

And since the drug company that makes PREmarin is responsible for inspecting PMU farms (yes Wyeth-Ayerst inspects their own farms), rather then an independent company that actually know about animal care, I'm sure their reports are twisted and sugarcoated.

"Even strict adherence to the code would not ensure that horses are treated humanely. For example, the code recommends exercise, but does not specify the frequency or amount of exercise necessary. "
<---from HERE
Is it true that synthetics don't work for some people? Yes, but how many people are given the option to use a synthetic? How many doctors prescribe PREmarin without informing their patients that there are synthetics available?

There is whole heck of a lot more to this then where the foals go.

I wish Premarin could be limited to only those who cannot substitute the synthetic, and I think there is room for improvement in living conditions. The slaughter thing just comes down to how you feel about use of animals as agricultural resouces and whether you think that horses' lives are somehow more sacrosanct than a cow's etc... and no way will people ever all agree on that.

But you know, I am sure I'd rather be a pmu mare than be a lot of show horses, who get less daily or yearly turnout and socialization and lead much more stressful and often painful lives. And frankly a nontrivial number of backyard horses don't do any better.

There are MANY ways for horses to have crappy lives, not just the usual poster-child things.

Pat, speaking from having worked with horses and the horse industry for most of 42 years

My hairdresser had a mare and foal a couple of years ago that came off of some sort of Premarin farm. I can't remember the details, but I do remember that the mare's feet were all in terrible condition when she arrived, and she suffered from all the expected ailments and bad habits of long confinement. I can't say if that was a typical case or not...

I think the foal quality varies. My trainer jut got a little pmu baby, and shes perfect. She like a draft, paint mix, and georgeous!! I dont know if that vaires on size of the farm, or what determines quality. I know she as in a pasture when they got her, and she had been there since just about birth. So, im not sure on this..is there anyone that knows, if farm size vaires, or how this all works?

Back
Top Bottom