1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pneumonia, day 10 with meds and no improvement - what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by technodoll, Dec 29, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Well the title says it all...

I brought my EE cockerel in the house 10 days ago as he is so congested, he sounds like he's purring when he breathes. Thick coughing, lungs sound full of liquid. But his eyes are clear, no nasal discharge, appetite is fine and poops are normal.

He's been on Neo-Chlor (a tetracycline) for 10 days now and I don't see any improvement.

These meds are the ONLY thing I can get and it was very difficult to obtain, so I have no other option.

Should I stop the meds now and let nature take its course, either he gets better on his own or he will have to be put to sleep?

Or should I continue the meds a few more days and then see what happens?

Thank you...

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

More than likely it's a virus so the meds won't do any good.

3. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    oh... if it's a virus, will it get better by itself with time? [​IMG]

4. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I give vet R/X to see if it will help first , If not I inject with LA200

5. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I have no vet recourse here, nobody will treat chickens.

Have tried far and wide to get medical attention for my birds, to no avail.

I don't know what else to do.

[​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Even if it gets better with time they often remain carriers and will infect other birds. There's no way to tell without it being tested to find out for sure what it has.

7. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    vet R/X is a liquid smells sort of like Vick's salve, most feed stores sell it

8. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    He would be better off put down. I do not believe you will be able to cure the respiratory infection once it's in his lungs. He will eventually be unable to breathe due to the fluid filling his lungs and will suffocate.

9. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Up here in my corner of Canada, the only kind of "medication" available without a prescription for animals is de-lousing powder.

It's just crazy.

You can't even get worming meds without first paying for a fecal sample at the vet's and THEN they give you meds.

As I said, nobody will treat chickens, it's discouraging.

I really am on my own here, which is why I'm asking for your advice on what to do with this poor roo...

[​IMG]

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Can you get olive leaf extract? If so, cut capsule and put in it's food, maybe in some cottage cheese. Give continuously. Olive leaf extract has Oleuropein which is an anti-viral. You can order it online or buy it at health food stores. Try to get some with oleuropein content of above 15% if possible to make it more potent. Grapefruit seed extract is an antiviral too, but is very bitter liquid. [​IMG]

Reason conventional medicine does not have an antiviral is that so far no petroleum-derived chemical can be found that kills viruses. No way to patent a naturally occurring viral killer, so big pharma ignores the olive leaf extract, as they do so many other cures too. Since they also control textbooks for all medical schools in N America except for Mexico, few doctors know of it either. [​IMG]

It can be ordered via telephone and credit card from Puritan's Pride vitamins.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by