1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PNW Winter prep

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by richard972, Sep 12, 2016.

1. richard972

richard972 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2016
    First year with chickens. I live in the PNW, southwest Washington. I have started preping the coop and run for winter. Putting cover over the run, so they can still have dust baths in the non stop rain. Then modifing vents so drafts/winds dont hit the birds in the coop. Any advice from PNW keepers would be great.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Managing mud is the biggest challenge in our area. The weather itself does not get cold enough to effect the birds, as long as they have shelter from the wind and rain.

We put down decomposed granite for the base of the run. Then, deep litter and straw for mud management. My main run is too large to cover, but my smaller runs will be covered and bedded heavily to combat the mud.

Thinking ahead, you'll need to decide how to water, also. We don't get tons of below freezing temps, but you need a plan for even those few days. I just pour warm water in my existing waterers. Some folks use heated dow bowls, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by