PO Egg Scrambling question help please ????

crazychicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
NC
well I would very much like to update my flock, and I want to order eggs.But last time I ordered eggs the came all the way from Washington I seem to remember thinking that they took their sweet time getting here…. But I am not one hundred percent sure that they did not actually get here on time. The seller was not to great at communicating but any way long story short.

Ordered 12 BO eggs,
Received 13 eggs,

None were cracked but……
7 had broken air cells,
4 had Split air cells,
2 were fine.

One developed,
One Hatched,
It was crippled,
It had a wing defect or mutation or what ever you want to call it,
Died 3 days later,

Spent 40.00 and got nothing!

This was way back last year,
I have not ordered eggs since and was wondering,
What are the chances that it will happen again?

I will not be getting BO or buying from that seller, and they have great feedback and is way closer than Washington it is in fact only a few states away.

So you might be able to see why I might be kind of cautious of ordering again.

So do you think it was a fluke? The seller? The PO ?

What are the chances of a repeat ?

Last edited:
I'm too afraid to order eggs after the shipping delays & deaths I've had with chicks. I have absolutely no faith in the PO when it comes to living/fragile things.
It really sucks when the breeds you want are all so far away. Hope you get some good answers- I feel for ya!

Thanks ! I really would like them and I wanted to say that those BO eggs took a week to get here but it was so long ago I don't remember.

idk why so many ppl have suck bad luck with this or r ordering from ppl who dont pack well i have recieced 4 orders so far and all arrived in perfect condition and right now 100 percent of 2 of those orders have great development! i am going to b overrun with chickens!! also i think i have sent 5 orders of my banty cochins out and all of them have arrived on great shape and are developing! check the feedback on whoever u r buying from if they use good shipping methods then ur eggs will arrive in great shape!
thumbsup.gif

I personally think that the PO might be what's causing the problem. So many people don't appreciate their jobs these days and some of them must even resent having to work. I have friends who work in the local PO (and we have a big PO) who have told me that there are certain people that work there who will drop kick items marked fragile or have special instructions written on the box because they resent that they have to take an additional step in care when transporting these items.

I received my first order of shipped eggs. Black Copper Marans - and the box arrived with one of the corners smashed. The box was marked fragile, live embryos, do not xray. I let the eggs rest, said a little prayer over them and put them in my incubator with 3 of my own hens eggs. All 3 of my hens eggs are developing, and only a one slight maybe that one of the shipped eggs is developing. That's pretty disappointing and I know eggsactly how you feel. I'll probably try again too.

I have nearly always had lousy luck with shipped eggs. However, there are only two ways to get new bloodlines for a lot of the varieties. If you wind up with 1 or 2 chicks for your $30.00 - $40.00 investment it is still cheaper than paying someone $25.00 - $30.00 for a bird and then an additional $45.00 for shipping. And who knows what some people would ship in the way of quality. At least with the egg, there is a chance that it will be a good chick. If you buy a live bird, you can just about bet your life you will get the one the "breeder" REALLY wants to get rid of.

My mail carrier has a terrible, snotty, bad attitude. But we still have the best postal system in the world! Most countries, you simply can't send eggs, or anything else of value through the mail.

Jim

You can always order day old chicks. although myself i would far rather have an egg arrive "dead" than a dead chick in a box. I have had great luck with my Buckeye shipped eggs and my Ameraucana shipped eggs but TERRIBLE luck with shipped silkie eggs so maybe along with the PO, the Breeders, & the packers the breed has something to do with it.

Do you have a local feed store that orders day old chicks. Our local feed store will add small orders to their larger ones. This makes it easier to order fewer chicks and seems like it increases the chance of the chicks getting delivered safely since the post office is used to working with them. With my local feed store, you don't have to pay for the chick until you receive it alive and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom