1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poaching eggs with Cling Wrap

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by kimslack, Mar 22, 2013.

1. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
  2. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

oh my, as the lady, who won't use the microwave for anything in plastic.. This is just wrong... Could not even imagine how many chemicals are leachted into the egg...
    So wrong, neat idea.. Think I will stick to the old fashioned method of boiling water, and dropping in..

Sorry for being negative..

3. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I tried the clingwrap method and the whites stuck to the cling wrap. Thumbs down from me on that idea. Guess I'll have to get an egg poacher

4. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Last two weeks of chef school we're in the fanciest kitchen doing buffets for special private holiday parties - the place was totally decked out, really a fantasy land of ice carvings, amazing food and a bunch of soon to graduate chefs. Really cruiser weight work, about 40 kids broken up into "stations" - we could get anything, ANYTHING from the school pantry to cook, the most amazing selection of meats, seafood, specialty items. We were cranking out some really fine and amazing stuff. Class started at 2:30 pm, food was served at 7:30 pm, in that interim we setup our menus, got everything cooking and ate. Also chef would sometimes have a small practical lesson he'd teach.

One night chef decides to give us an impromptu test. We're each given a bowl with about 8 eggs. We're told we have 30 minutes to make and present a perfectly fried egg, scrambled egg, soft boiled egg and poached egg... Now we're all hotshots because we learned all this "stuff". But this test is designed to stop that ego in it's tracks and did. Of the 40 kids no one, NO ONE, could make a really prefect poached egg... LOL. The trick was to use a wide shallow pan, with about 1 1/2 inches of just simmering water, 1 tbls white wine vinegar and to break the egg carefully into a small bowl and then use the bowl to slide the egg into the water, using a slotted spoon and the acid in the vinegar in the water it was really easy to get the egg to coagulate into that attractive round shape we're so used to seeing. Well, actully just like what Alton Brown shows here. The idea of the test was to show us that no matter how much fancy stuff we did we were nothing without the foundation of doing basic stuff well, like poaching an egg properly.

Enjoy...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  5. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I'll have to try this

6. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    I tried the method mentioned in the video. Its a cool idea to be able to refridgerate the poached eggs for later use. I use them alot in soups and broths so its great to have them ready and waiting for a bowl of soup.

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, a lady I know use to wrap her potatoes in plastic wrap and microwave them, and I thought the same thing, all that chemical and toxins leaching into those lovely potatoes. . .Mircrowaves are actually not good for us, as it is, they turn good ions into bad ions and never ever heat a baby bottle in one, animal or human, because of this. I don't use mine anymore unless I just absolutely have too. . .

8. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I found a recipe for HOBO CASSEROLE on Pinterest the other day and tried it. . .GOOD stuff. EASY as pie and you have all the ingredients in the kitchen!!! Take 1# of ground beef and pat in an 8 x 8 pan. Slice a small onion and put on top of hamburger. Slice two potatoes and lay on top of the onions. Cover with 4 slices of american cheese, although I think shredded would be good too, and then take a can of cream of mushroom soup with 1/8 cup of milk blended in and pour over the top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or till potatoes are cooked tender.

GoooooOOOOddddd as Andy of Mayberry would say . . .a tossed salad and biscuits and you got supper!!! My kind of meal!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by