1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poblem with Temperature / Thermometers....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Echoes, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Echoes

Echoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    So I have 2 thermometeres in my incubator right now. 1 digital and 1 glass stick one. My problem in that when my glass one reads 100 degrees, my digital reads something like 107 degrees. Which one should I trust?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im not shure I am really new here . but when in doubt get another one lol thats what I would do and make shure youre takeing the temp at about the same level . Good luck

3. Echoes

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Great idea! They are both the same brand. Guess I should get another brands perspective.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Go to the store an look at all the thermometers an get the one closest to the average temp that there all showing. Or go get a $3 medical thermometer an match them to it.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i got 3 thermometers i right now. THey are cheap you can get a regular one for a buck or two. I wish they would make egg shaped thermometers and thermostats , that would be so much easier in the turner

dont steal my idea

6. Echoes

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Lol. I'm about to patent it for myself!

Hah, but yeh, I'll just buy another one tomorrow and see how it goes.

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    The more thermometers you put in there the more confused you will get. A medical thermometer with Mercury is the best thing to test your digital thermometers against. It take a long time for them to register in the incubator so give the around 10 minutes. Note the difference in the two units and make sure you are recording from the same place in the incubator. There are hot and cool spots in most and the temperature will vary the closer to the heat source you get.

Don't forget you need a hygrometer too, it is just as important in you hatching as any other part.

You can buy a Thermometer/Hygormeter at Walmart or the like for around $ 9.00. Springfield and Accurite are two brands they usually carry.

8. Echoes

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Kk. Yeh, I will be getting another one today. I actually got both of mine from Walmart and they are both Springfield brand. The digital one does have a hygrometer on it.

.....Thanks for the info jamnjay!

9. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    you can calbrate the glass one by putting it in a glass ofice and water ( one cup of ice and 1/2 cup of water and two tablespoons of salt for ten minutes) should read 32deg and that will tell you how close it reads. william

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by