Pogo is Hopping?

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
Pogo, the demonic poodle, has developed something wrong. A few years ago, he dislocated his knee when a Boxer ran after him. I have a feeling he overexerted it and the tendon tore/stretched...something along those lines.

The vet confirmed that the patella dislocated and said pain meds would help with the inflammation (enteric coated aspirin). I've made his crate softer for him with pillows, but he's started holding his leg up all the time.

Is there anything else I can do? He's still able to jump up and do his naughty antics, but it doesn't look good taking your dog to the bathroom on a public road with a leg being held up. The only other option that the vet had was surgery...with a 12 year old dog, knee surgery is not something I can afford for a dog who may not even recover from it.

He doesn't seem to be in pain, unless you try and stretch out the leg, which of course, would help the patella slip back into place...does anyone know of any other types of anti-inflammatory meds are available?

My puppy Tucker did something to his knee a couple of weeks ago and the vet put him on something called Metacam. BUT he is a young puppy and didn't dislocate anything, just tore something in his knee. Crate rest and the anti -inflamatory did wonders for him. He wouldn't walk on it at all at first.

It was amazing how fast he could run three legged though when he didn't want to come in from a potty break
roll.png

Metacam also worked for my dog when he initially injurred his knee and later in life when he developed arthritis in the joint (he did have the surgery at 6 years- I can see your hesitation for a 12 year old..and the recovery is pretty intense). I would suggest limiting the jumping. Our dog was a lab and we needed to stop the frisbee play because the torquing movement from jumping twisting and landing was pretty tough on the already tender joint. I am sure your vet will give you the best advice for your specific dog. though. Hope he feels better soon!
hugs.gif

Talked to the vet and he suggested upping the regular dosage to 2 tablets of 81mg until the leg-holding stops. When it does, give it 2 more days then drop the dosage. If that doesn't work, we're supposed to go back in.

I tell you what...if I lost the use of one of my limbs, I'd want to have at least half the motion that he is able to do right now.

Back
Top Bottom