poinsettias and ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Nov 24, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    poisonous or not?
    I think I can get away with planting some outside here, but if it is a nono for ducks, I'll have to plant them on the other side of the fence.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I know it's a nono for dogs so I suspect it is for ducks.

3. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Poinsettia is not poisonous. The passed-down legend of it being toxic comes from just one dubious report of a child getting sick from allegedly eating some a long time ago, but no actual evidence that the child actually did. Further research showed that in order to even get an upset tummy, this child would have to have eaten more than the entire plant.

But I wonder if the plant I know as poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) will grow outside in Alabama. I'm wondering if, perhaps, you are referring to a plant sometimes called "Summer Poinsettia" (Amaranthus tricolor), which is an annual, and also goes by the name "Joseph's Coat", "Tampala" or simply "Amaranthus." That species is fine, and is often planted not only for its decorative qualities but also because the seed-heads of many Amaranthus species attract wild birds.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My answer is always: Don't risk it. If you don't know whether or not it is safe for the ducks, plant it where they can't reach it.

5. AquaEyes

True poinsettia -- the kind we see as indoor plants for christmas, that I mentioned in my first post here -- are not winter-hardy in southern Alabama, which is where the OP is from. This leads me to believe some other plant is being referenced here. If it's the genus of annuals Amaranthus (which includes a species sometimes called "Summer Poinsettia"), then you're safe. The leaves of these plants can be eaten by people. But, to be sure, can you be more specific by what you mean by "poinsettia"?

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    As Oregon Blues has said already, I wouldn't risk it either.

This summer we planted some red cannas around the duck pens to make it look nicer and I was really worried about them eating the leaves and getting sick so we planted them 2 foot away from the fence and lined the inside and outside of the fence with chicken wire.

These red cannas we got we had dug up from my grandpas house. My great-grandmother had planted them almost a 100 years ago and they are still re-producing today. [​IMG]
    They are VERY beautiful when all of them are in bloom! [​IMG] The cannas also LOVED the run off dirty duck water from the bowls and their pool.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:With all the good duck fertlizer they will probably be going strong another 100 years.. [​IMG]

8. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Nope, I meant the winter houseplant type.
    It seemed from reading last night that I MIGHT be able to get away with it if I planted it close to the house and it uses the heat the brick retains after a day of sun exposure. The way to do that was in the duck pen. Or in a pot up on the deck.

I bought some today for $.99 each from HD. So I just might try it in my container on the deck and put it next to the house. Maybe cover it on cold nights.
    If we have a winter like we did last year, no chance it will make it though.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    At once time in my life we lived in North Fl. and even there we couldn't have poinsettas out year round.

10. AquaEyes

Quote:They're not reliably hardy below 40F. The closest place to you within the US where they MIGHT survive outside is very-south Florida, but the heat would probably do them in. Then again, I've also liked to "try things" that weren't supposed to be hardy, so give it a shot -- worse that would happen is that they die. But I wouldn't try planting them until after the last frost date for your area, anyway, They'd certainly die if they're in "grow mode" and have to deal with borderline-death temperatures.

But anyway....they're not toxic. The sap may be irritating to some people or animals, but nothing that would be lethal -- there are plenty of other commonly grown plants that have more averse reactions that aren't called "toxic."

Some references below.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_pulcherrima

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55606

http://www.rabbit.org/health/poinsettia.html

http://www.botanical-online.com/alcaloidespoinsettiaangles.htm

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by