1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Point end down or lay flat?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ADuckOnQuack, May 23, 2016.

1. ADuckOnQuack

ADuckOnQuack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    England
    I've been incubating for a couple of years now and I've always put the eggs on their side. I was wondering does anyone put the pointy end down? If so do you think it's a better hatch rate or no difference? Thanks for your help

2. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    Can anyone help me out?

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I lay mine down. I know a few who hatch upright. I get 90%+ hatches- they get 90%+hatches, I don't think it matters much to hatch rates, just a matter of preference.

4. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    Thanks

5. redguinea

redguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    Can anyone help me out?[/quote

Ive tried both ways and honestly dont see a difference in the hatch rate. If I incubate the eggs with the end down then I lay them on their sides for lockdown, I dont like them hatching out with the egg still upright it looks awkward for the chick. You could give incubating the other way a go and see if it makes a difference for you.

6. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    Thanks I will do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by